chapter five

"Not sure if I should show you want I found." -Arctic Monkeys, Fireside

AT THE SOUND OF MOLLY'S SCREAM, JAS AND I ARE out of our seats an instant. We almost bump into Molly as we run out of the kitchen. She's pacing the living room, face pale and one hand slapped over her mouth. The other hand is holding her phone to her ear. Judging by the expression of horror painted across her face, she's not getting good news.

Molly suddenly drops her phone, scooping up the car keys laying on the coffee table. She turns to us, an unexplainable wild look in her eyes. "Get in the car," she says. "They found Ford's jacket in the forest."

Jas and I don't have to be told twice. We follow Molly out of the clutter-filled home, practically shaking in anticipation. If it weren't for my subconscious making my legs move, I would have been frozen. I'm not exactly sure how to take the news, not even sure if it's good or bad, so I just take it silently, with a fear threading in my bones.

Molly takes her place in the front, Jas and I climbing into the back. The car whirrs to life, Molly sparing no time to pull out of the driveway and start driving. I'm not familiar with the direction we're heading, so I clear my throat, "Molly? Where did they find his jacket?"

"Barton's Forest."

Oh. Oh shit.

Barton's Forest is what surrounds our town. It's a huge span of trees that coats tons and tons of high and rocky hills. People love going hiking there, given that they actually know their way around, since there's no trails. It's as natural as breathing to get lost in there, which is pretty much why no one is allowed to go in there. If they found Ford's jacket in there... it could mean anything. A wild animal could have gotten to him, he could have gotten lost, or he could have... he could have hiked the cliff, which just a five minute walk from the top is the highway out of here.

Did he really just leave? I know that he isn't all that fond of this town, but to think that he just randomly got up and left- it didn't add up. None of this adds up.

The car ride is agonizing, and by the time we make it to the part of Barton's Forest Molly had been told to go, I'm practically leaping out of the car before its even parked. There's several police cars outside, who immediately make their way to the car once we pull in. Officer Jones from school earlier today approaches Jas and I, while the rest make their way to Molly.

"Evening, ladies," Officer Jones says.

"What did they find?" I demand, getting right to it. "Anything else besides his jacket?"

"Just that," he shakes his head. "We're having a search party out right now to look for anything else. Want to go?"

Jas looks taken aback. "Are you... serious?"

"We need all the help we can get," Officer Jones admits. "Keep your cellphone on you at all times, and if you find something don't touch it, or else it'll have your fingerprints on it, and that could turn problematic." He reaches back into his bag. "Here's two flashlights and extra batteries. Be back before nine-thirty, or else we're going out to look for you. Don't go too far."

Officer Jones then turns around to talk to someone us, leaving Jas alone to just stare at each other in surprise. We don't question it, though; after shooting our parents a quick text, Jas and I are clicking on our flashlights and heading in.

Barton's Forest is creepy. The trees are tall, most of them looking ready to fall over, the floor is rocky and uneven, and the wind adds an uncomforting, almost scary element. If not for the flashlights, I wouldn't have agreed to gone (not that I really agreed, either way) because it would have been almost impossible to take a step without falling on my face.