Chapter 2 - The Hogwarts Express

"Excuse me," said Ron, peeking his head through the compartment door, "Do you mind? Everywhere else is full."
The boy in the compartment was the same boy from the station, who had asked how to get onto the platform.
"Not at all," he said.
Ron smiled and walked in, followed by Y/N.
"I'm Ron, by the way. Ron Weasley," said Ron.
"And I'm Y/N Weasley," said Y/N.
"I'm Harry," said the boy, "Harry Potter."
Y/N's eyes widened and Ron's jaw dropped.
"S-So it's true?" Ron mustered out, "I mean, do you really have the...the..."
He pointed to his forehead, trying to be the most polite he could.
"What?" said Harry.
"The scar," said Ron in a whisper.
Harry's mouth made an 'o' formation and he lifted his fringe to show Y/N and Ron a red lightning bolt scar, carved into his forehead.
"Wicked," said Y/N.

"Anything off the trolley, dears?" asked the trolley lady, as she passed by their compartment.
"No thanks," said Ron.
"We're all set," Y/N grimaced, holding up a sandwich bundled in plastic wrap.
Harry looked at them in pity for a moment, before reaching into his pocket and saying, "We'll take the lot!"
The gold coins glittered and jingled in his hand.
"Whoa!" exclaimed the twins in unison.

**********

"Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Beans?" Harry asked, reading off the box.
"They mean every flavour," said Y/N.
"There's chocolate and peppermint, and there's also spinach, liver and tripe," Ron explained.
Harry's face twisted in disgust.
"George sweared he got a bogey-flavoured one once," said Y/N.
With that, Harry decided to move on from the jelly beans, taking one out of his mouth.

"These aren't real frogs, are they?" he asked, picking up a Chocolate Frogs box.
"It's just a spell," mumbled Ron, chewing on some sweets, "Besides, it's the cards you want. Each pack's got a famous witch or wizard. I've got about 500 meself."
Y/N hit him on the arm, reminding him not to show off. Harry opened the box, but the frog leapt out onto the window.
"Watch it!" cried Y/N.
The frog climbed up and out the window, flying away in the wind.
"Oh, that's rotten luck," said Ron, "They've only got one good jump in them to begin with."
"I've got Dumbledore!" exclaimed Harry.
"I've got about six of him," said Ron.
This time, Y/N only gave him a sharp, warning glare - still, it shut him up. Harry only laughed at this.
"Hey, he's gone!" said Harry, looking back at the card.
"Well, you can't expect him to hang around all day, can you?" said Y/N.

Harry's eyes moved to Scabbers - Ron's rat - who was deep inside the box of jelly beans.
"This is Scabbers, by the way," said Ron, "Pathetic, isn't he?"
"Just a little bit..." Harry said, as politely as possible.
"Fred gave me a spell to turn him yellow," Ron continued, "Want to see?"
"Yeah," said Harry in excitement, adjusting his position so that he could see without having to turn his head.
Ron picked up his wand and cleared his throat.
"Sun-" he began, but stopped shortly, because a girl was standing at the door of the compartment.
She was short in height and had light brown bushy hair that fell to just below her shoulders. She had a fringe covering her forehead and her freckles were sprinkled all over her cheeks and nose. She appeared to be looking for something. She sighed once she realised that she wasn't going to find it.

"Has anyone seen a toad? A boy names Neville's lost one," the girl said.
The other three shook their heads, but the girl wasn't bothered about the lost toad anymore.
"Oh. Are you doing magic?" she asked Ron, "Let's see, then."
Her voice had quite an annoying and bossy tone to it.
Ron cleared his throat again, before chanting, "Sunshine, daisies, butter mellow; turn this stupid, fat rat yellow."
Nothing changed, except that the Bertie Bott's box flew off of Scabbers' head and onto the floor. Ron shrugged at Harry and Y/N. They simply shrugged back. But the girl at the door was unimpressed.

"Are you sure that's a real spell?" she asked.
Normally, Y/N would've replied with something like, "Probably not, knowing Fred and George."
But she was astounded at the girl's boldness and decided to keep her mouth shut to see just how far the girl would actually go.
"Well, it's not very good, is it?" she said.
Y/N, Harry and Ron were shocked. Who did this girl think she was?

"Of course, I've only tried a few simple ones myself. But they've all worked for me."
She then took out her wand and proceeded to cross over the compartment to sit opposite Harry.
"For example," she brought her wand Harry's glasses - poor Harry had no idea what she was going to do, "Oculus Reparo"
The duct tape that held together the bridge of Harry's glasses unwrapped itself and vanished - leaving the glasses perfectly fixed. If Y/N wasn't so appalled at the girl's behaviour, she might have been impressed.

"That's better, isn't it?" she continued.
Harry took off his glasses, surprise on his face - which Ron reciprocated.
"Holy cricket!" the girl suddenly gasped, "You're Harry Potter! I'm Hermione Granger. And...you are?"
She looked Ron and Y/N up and down.
"I'm Ron Weasley," said Ron, chewing on something.
"And I'm Y/N Weasley," said Y/N coldly - she didn't like this 'Hermione' girl very much.
"Pleasure," replied Hermione, before looking back at Harry, "You three better change into your robes. I expect we'll be arriving soon."

She got up and walked back to the door of the compartment. As she was about to leave, she stopped in her tracks and looked back at Ron.
"You've got dirt on your nose, by the way. Did you know? Just there," she said pointing to her nose.
Ron scrubbed his nose vigorously - in the wrong spot, but nobody pointed that out. When he stopped, Hermione turned swiftly on her heels and walked away.

Y/N couldn't stand her. She hadn't even reached school yet and she knew that she was going to have a problem with that girl. Her only hope was that she wouldn't find anybody else that stuck-up.