Chapter 4 - The Sorting Ceremony

"Form two lines," said the professor, holding the shoulders of Neville and another boy, "And follow me."

Harry and Ron were second in each line. Y/N stood directly behind Harry. Next to her was a boy she didn't recognise. He had dark hair and chocolate brown eyes. Freckles adorned his face and his lips were curved into a soft smile. Y/N smiled back, hoping that she could make a new friend. A large pair of double doors opened automatically. When the first years walked in, their heads shot in every direction, taking in their surroundings. They were in a hall so large that Y/N thought the Burrow could fit in it. Four long tables stretched across the hall - two on each side of the aisle they were walking down. Soon enough, Y/N realised that each table was assigned to a particular house. The tables only had empty plates and goblets on them. Candles floated above them, giving the room even more decoration. At the other end of the hall, there was another long table where all the professors sat. The ceiling - well, Y/N wasn't quite sure if it actually was the ceiling - looked like the dark sky outside with cottony clouds and twinkling stars.

"It's not real, the ceiling," said a familiar voice from behind Y/N, and she instantly knew who it was. Hermione Granger, the irritating girl from the train.
"It's just bewitched to look like the night sky," continued Hermione, "I read about it in 'Hogwarts: A History'."

When the students reached the other end of the hall, they saw a dirty, old hat placed on a four-legged stool on a platform.. It was brown in colour, whereas everybody else's hats were black. The professor who had been leading them all this time stepped onto the platform.
"Alright. Will you wait along here, please?" she said, waving the scroll she held in front of her. 
The two lines of students gradually turned into a crowd. The ones at the back of the group were standing on their toes so they could see. 
"Now, before we begin, Professor Dumbledore would like to say a few words."

Right in the middle of the professors' table was a large chair - like a throne. And in that chair sat Albus Dumbledore, the Headmaster of Hogwarts. Y/N recognised him from the Chocolate Frogs cards. He wore deep, faded, scarlet robes and a matching hat. His white hair and beard fell almost to his waist and a pair of crescent-shaped glasses were perched on his nose.
He stood up and began to speak, "I have a few start-of-term notices I wish to announce. The first years, please note that the dark forest is strictly forbidden to all students. Also, our caretaker, Mr Filch, has asked me to remind you that the third floor corridor on the right-hand side is out of bounds to everyone who does not wish to die a most painful death. Thank you."

As he sat back down, the professor unrolled her scroll and said, "When I call your name, you will come forth, I shall place the Sorting Hat on you head and you will be sorted into you houses."

She held up the scroll and called out, "Granger, Hermione!"
"Oh, no. Ok, relax," Hermione said to herself aloud.
"Mental, that one. I'm telling you," said Ron, to which Y/N laughed and Harry nodded in agreement.
Hermione sat on the stool, her eyes all over the place. To say she was nervous would be an understatement. The professor placed the hat on her head. A mouth-like fold opened up near the brim of the hat.
"Ah... Right, then," it said, as if it was thinking hard, "Hmm... Right... Ok... GRYFFINDOR!"
 All of Gryffindor house burst into applause and Hermione cheered to herself as she skipped to the house table. She was congratulated by the other Gryffindors, while Ron and Y/N only groaned.

"Malfoy, Draco!"
Malfoy confidently walked forward and sat down on the stool. The hat hadn't even been placed on his head yet, but it yelled out, "SLYTHERIN!"
Malfoy made his way to the Slytherin table as Ron said to Harry, "There's not a witch or wizard who went bad who wasn't in Slytherin."

"Bones, Susan!"
A girl with messy, ginger hair stepped forward.
"Ah!" said Harry suddenly.
"What is it, Harry?" asked Y/N.
"Nothing," said Harry, staring somewhere ahead, "Nothing. I'm fine."
"Let's see..." said the Sorting Hat, "I know... HUFFLEPUFF!"
Susan Bones seemed happy with the hat's choice, running to Hufflepuff's table.

"Pevensie, Edmund!" 
Y/N recognised the name 'Pevensie'. She remembered Fred and George telling her that a boy named Peter Pevensie was one of the Chasers on the Gryffindor Quidditch team. All of a sudden, she was very interested in who Edmund Pevensie was. To her surprise, the boy who was standing next to her earlier walked forward. He seemed nervous, but hid it well. He sat down on the stool and the professor placed the hat on his head.
"A curious one..." said the hat, "Hmm... Alright... Yes... SLYTHERIN!"
Y/N's eyes were trained on Edmund, as he walked to the Slytherin table.
"He didn't seem bad," she thought, wondering if there ever were good people who went to Slytherin.

"Weasley, Ronald!"
Ron's face went pale. He walked forward in slow steps. Shivering with fright, he sat down on the stool.
Just as the hat was placed on his head, it shouted, "Ha! Another Weasley. I know just what to do with you... GRYFFINDOR!"
Relief washed over Ron's face and he ran over to the Gryffindor table, shaking hands with each of his brothers.

"Weasley, Y/N!" 
"Oh, no," thought Y/N, "That's me. What if I'm put in Slytherin? I'll be a disappointment to the family."
She walked towards the stool, fidgeting with her fingers. She sat down and felt the hat sitting on her head. It was a great deal heavier than she'd expected it to be, and she had to grip the stool firmly to avoid weighing down.
"And yet another?!" shouted the hat, annoyed.
The whole hall burst into giggles, but they soon silenced themselves.
"You know, the day will come when I'll have to put a Weasley in another house," said the hat, it's voice echoing across the hall, "But not today... GRYFFINDOR!" 
Y/N felt her face soften and she ran to join the Gryffindors. She was so excited that she nearly tripped, but she continued running. She was greeted by Percy, Fred, George and Ron - all beaming at her. She shook hands with them - and also with some people she did not know.

When she finally sat down, she heard the professor call out, "Potter, Harry!"
The hall went quiet. Of course, it was quiet before as well, but this time seemed even more quiet. Dumbledore was leaning forward in interest. Harry walked to the stool timidly and finally sat down.
"Hmm..." said the hat, "Difficult. Very difficult. Plenty of courage, I see. Not a bad mind, either. There's talent - oh, yes. And a thirst to prove yourself. But where to put you?"
Harry muttered something nobody else could hear, but the hat soon revealed his whispers.
"Not Slytherin, eh? Are you sure? You could be great, you know. It's all here, in your head. And Slytherin will help you on the way to greatness, there's no doubt about that. No? Well, if you're sure... Better be... GRYFFINDOR!"