Goodbye✠

The Don

Alice

Pounding struck violently in my head as I regained consciousness, my memories also merging into my brain. My eyes shot open, beckoning the strong light bursting into my eyes, making me squeeze them shut, wincing. Once I adjusted myself to the stupidly bright light, I let them analyse my surroundings; White walls in pristine condition; A white blanket covering my body; A wire from a machine injected into the back of my hand, all of my bruises on show. Why was I in a hospital?

A click of the door and the slight creak of it opening was followed by footsteps. I gazed up to find a man in a lab coat, pen and clipboard in hand. Blonde hair tumbled over his eyes shaggily, green emeralds staring with pity through it. His lips trying to form a smile but they only frowned, his face sympathetic. His face held vague wrinkles and bags under his eyes, but he looked to be quite young, mid 30s perhaps. "Miss. Baskin?" His words snapping me out of the scared and quizzical trance I was in. Emotions swirling through my stomach, knotting it. "I'm Dr. Cartwright. I've already informed your family of your condition and they'll be in here soon to comfort you." His eyes looked away from me and he sighed, taking a deep breath before he said those very words that brought my world crashing down. "You have Acute Myeloid Leukemia."

Those 5 words ruined me, they were breaking me. I had cancer? I had cancer. As much as that scared me, I didn't care about that; What were they going to think of me? What were they going to do with me? Ridicule me? Lock me in a room til I die from it? The doctor's voice snapped me out of the tornado of thoughts taking a spiral in my mind. "Do you want me to explain what it is?" He asked, talking to me as though I was a child, sympathy running through his voice. I shook my head, I knew the basics of Leukemia, stuff to do with the white blood cells, but I didn't want a full run through of how I was going to die. I had no clue what they were going to do with me, but it was a known fact they weren't going to want me to get better or care and comfort me throughout the process.

As if on cue, multiple pairs of footsteps trudged through the open door, eyes glaring at me. I wandered mine over them, all 4 of them were here surprisingly. Mother had a bored expression plastered over her face, lips in a thin line and eyes coldly judging me like I was the plague. Her arms crossed over her chest tightly and she stayed nearest to the door, not wanting to be within 6 feet of me. Pixie looked jittery, like she didn't want to be here, but also didn't want to show something. I knew she wasn't mean, she just wanted to impress her mother. Her fingers twiddled and fidgeted, eyes unable to stay still but her gaze was still similar to her mother's when they settled on me. Dylan stood worriedly, his eyes holding sympathy. He was the closest to me, standing at my side. His dirty blonde hair stroked back and blue eyes pitying the sight I held. My father was as unreadable as always, his face stone. His circle glasses still perfectly perched on the tip of his nose and his fawn hair slicked back in an old fashion, greys peeping through his waves. He looked just as bored with the situation at hand, but no spitefulness in his staring.

My mother scoffed, clearly done with me now. "Brat. Don't even think about coming home." Her pitchiness souring my ears, making me internally cringe. Pixie's eyes widened, shocked by the words and Dylan was first to step in. "What the hell!" He was going to carry on, but the witch cut him off before another words could escape his mouth in a useless effort to help me. "Don't raise your voice at me like that, she's been leaching off of us since she was born. This is just the last straw." He wanted to fight more about it, but he gave up, knowing full well no one could win against that woman. My father stayed cold, peering at the scene before him through his spectacles. My mother turned towards me, turning her nose up at me before spitting out pure venom. "Never come back to my house ever again, you bitch." And she walked out, turning on her heels and click clacked her way out of the hospital, my father and pixie hot on her tail. My older sister gave me one last glance, emotions swirling through her eyes.

Dylan stayed by my side, holding my hand and giving it a tight squeeze. "I'm so sorry Alice." His voice croaked out, eyes glazing over. He truly looked sincere, just like always. "I'm so, so sorry." A tear escaped from his eye, dribbling down his rosy cheek. I was quick to wipe it away, my thumb grazing over his cheekbone. "It's not your fault, Dylan. But you need to go, we know why she hates me, don't make her hate you too." I gave him a small smile, trying to hold my tears back. He looked towards the roof, blinking to keep his back also. My teeth bit down on my bottom lips, keeping the sobs at bay, "I'll be okay; You'll be okay." I breathed as I put my head into his chest, resting my forehead on him. "But what are you going to do? You can't stay here, they won't let you, and you can't go back." His voice laced with worry as he strokes my hair, twirling it. I pull back, looking him straight in the eye; My honey-browns staring into his deep-oceans. "Don't worry about me, I'll figure it out." I tried to reassure him as much as I could, but even I didn't believe it; I had nowhere to go and I could possibly die from this godamn Leukemia. But now wasn't the time to go crazy, I had to make Dylan believe me.

"You have cancer Alice!" He was trying to fight it, but there wasn't anything to fight; I was going to leave here as soon as he left that door and I was going to slowly die from this illness in an alley somewhere. "I'll figure it out. But you need to go, maybe I'll pay you a visit sometime in the middle of the night. Throw a rock at your window or something." I laughed slightly, attempting to ease the heaviness of the situation. He was my brother, I knew he would worry. Dylan let out a small chuckle through his tears. His hand squeezed mine one last time and his placed a kiss to my head before leaving the room. It's better if he doesn't drag it out, that wasn't his way of doing things, making this longer will only hurt more.

Once the blonde was out of sight, I ripped the blanket off of my legs, swinging them over the edge of the bed. My hand created a fist around the thin wire stuck in my hand and yanked it out with force, wincing and letting out small whimpers from the cringey feeling running through my veins. Blood dripped out of the minuscule wound, slowly seeping out. My clothes were messily folded onto the chair beside me, more like thrown onto the back of it. My head whipped to the doorway as familiar footsteps came closer. Before I could register my movement, I had already nabbed my belongings from the seat and made a dash for the window.

My fingers fumbled with the lock, turning the key and pulling the glass upwards into he top window. It was quite a small gap but it looked like I would fit. I whipped my feet over the wall, sitting uncomfortably on the window ledge and I took one last glance at the doctor coming. His green eyes caught sight of my body, but I slipped through the crack before he could run and shout for help.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, updates are going to be a lot slower now as I'm going back to school, starting tomorrow, fun. Hopefully this suffices until next time. Thank you for reading.

A.V..✫*゚·゚。.☆.*。