For some reason..

Chris's prov

I walked along the pathway to Teddys house.

It was a school day and all of us usually walk together. Me picking up Teddy, Vern picking up Gordie then meeting each other half way.

Usually at that time Teddy would get the song "We're half way there" stuck in his head then spread the song disease to all the rest of us by humming it or even singing it in a whispered tone.

I was about 1 house away from Teddys house now and I could see him just coming out the door.

I heard his mom in the distance saying "Have fun at school, stay safe! No fights at school today, Theodore!" she scolded with her finger, "Ya ok, mom.." Teddy grumbled, "I MEAN IT, THEODORE, ONE MORE FIGHT THIS WEEK AND THEY'LL KICK YOU OUT!", "OK, OK, I GET IT!".

"You've finally got some friends, not even that many, we got a place by your dads to visit and I got a nice job and a school that'll actually take you for once, I don't know why you choose to mess all that up."

".. Sorry, mom..." Teddy played with his dog tags.

His mom sighed and kissed him on the forehead "Bye, bud. See you after school!", "Bye..".

The door slammed shut and Teddy sat on the steps up to his porch, obviously upset about the whole thing.

"Hey, Teddy!" I said as I stepped in front of his driveway.

A smile began to form on Teddys face "Hey, Chambers! What's up?".

"Nothing much, man, you?", he walked up beside me (on the road side) "Same, man.", we skinned hands-

(if that's not clear, I mean their hand shake)

-"You sure your alright?", "Ya why wouldn't I be?" he shrugged, ".. I don't know. Just checking in." I scratched the back of my neck.

"Jeez and you guys think I act weird!" he kicked a stone that landed about halfway down the street.. We're half way there- DARN IT, TEDDY!

Later..

Gordie and Vern were now walking with us.

Teddy was walking on the curb, Vern was beside him, on the grass, I was beside Vern on the left side of the sidewalk, leaving Gordie on the right side, closer to the houses.

"You think we got P.E. today?" Vern asked.

"Isn't P.E. when you have the day off?" Teddy said confused.

"No that's P.A.!" Gordie said looking at the ground.

Teddy nodded and looked back to the curb he was balancing on.

"I think I have P.E. and we have it together so ya I think we have P.E.." I answered (took us long enough to answer).

Vern sighed "I hate P.E.!".

"Someone of your size would!" Teddy snickered.

Vern shoved him a bit "Shut it, Duchamp!".

Teddy just giggled in response.

"Hey, you guys, goin to the tree house today?" I asked.

"Ya, my mom gave me 5 bucks for lunch but I think I'm just gonna save it and eat the free lunch." Teddy stated.

We were all shocked at first that his mom would give him that much or even give him money in the first place. They weren't per say the most wealthiest of the bunch.

Vern looked at him astounding.

Teddy turned to look at him, he raised a brow ".. What?".

"N-nothing!" he said as he looked down to the grass blushing.