C~4: Dr. Gets Wings

"The secret of flight is this: you have to do it immediately before your body realizes it is defying the laws."

~Michael Cunningham

The wind whips through my hair as I turn the cart under the terminal. Riding to the back airstrip Spencer holds onto his bag. "Um, airports back there!" he calls over the rush screaming by our ears.

"I don't fly any of those!" I call back as the hanger doors open in the distance. The sun begins to rise behind them, bathing the land in a warm glow. Taking my shades, I put them on "You wake up to any hotel room and a blue sky, Doctor. But that sunrise, you can only find that on airstrips!" I grin.

The bay doors part as a jet is pulled out, causing me to stand hand still on the wheel "WOW!!!" I shout out as we near. Seeing Lenny, the airstrip owner, I call out to him as I round the cart, "Ain't she beauty every time you see her!"

"I had my boys wash her down for you. I know how you like to have a clean takeoff." Lenny smiles, hands on his hips. Turning off the engine, I respond, "Gee Skywalker, maybe killers should come down to Miami more often between here and couple of other states; it's like home."

He laughs at my joke while Spencer still sits perplexed. I dismount from the cart as the guys, Lenny's team, the ones who brought out the jet, turn to me. Motioning with my hands, I get right down to business. "Alright boys, you know the drill we gotta this bird up in the sky in 45 minutes, so go go go! I don't want any of that cheap gasoline. June 1954, a Convair CV-240, we only use JP-1A!" I joke as Lenny walks over, "Skywalker, this is Dr. Spencer Reid of the BAU."

Lenny nods "So this is the smart one."

"Actually, the correct term would be genius if may be so bold." Spencer interrupts. Lenny holds up his hands as I smile. "Relax, Skywalker," I say. Nodding to us, Lenny motions, "I'll go get your photo set up Miracle, nice to meet you, Doc."

As Lenny jogs away, Spencer asks, "Skywalker? Miracle?" he begins as I shrug "Call-signs? Ever heard of them?"

"Of course? It's a joke name for pilots part of a team."

"Or just trust." I say, motioning to Lenny, who was in the hanger, "When I did my first flight to Miami, I opened up a tool shed in the back by accident, stuffed wall to wall with Starwars memorabilia." laughing at the memory, I turn back to him "So I call Lenny Skywalker."

"Captain Santio!" a team member calls, "Jets fueled and ready when you are."

"Thanks!" I nod back as Lenny comes jogging back up, handing me a photo as he steps back with a camera. Holding it up, I smile as the lights hit my eyes before Lenny gives me the image, "Boy, that's a keeper. See you next time Skywalker."

"You can come by anytime, Miracle," he states, waving his goodbyes. Spencer looks over my shoulder at the photo "Picture in a picture? A lot?" he points out. Nodding, I smile "You'd be surprised how often I fly you all to Miami."

Moving my sunglasses to hold back my hair, the stairs are lowered on the jet. Taking my bag out of the back of the cart, I call, "See doctor, like I said, first-class service to your flight."

"How come I don't know you?"

Turning back, I almost slam into him cause of his sudden appearance behind me. Hazel eyes boring into gray, his curly short light brownish hair blowing in the wind. Licking my chapped lips, I shrug "Should you? I just fly the jet."

He shakes his head "But you come on every case, I should hav- I mean seen-"

"I wake up early, prep the bird, I'm not allowed to leave the hotel till the case is solved." I list moving past him as he speaks, "Until last night...if protocol dictates you're not allowed to leave the hotel, then why did you?" he questions halfway up the steps.

Facing him from above, I smile "You figure out I've been flying you around for the past year and a half and you ain't even asked for a name?" laughing this out, Spencer stumbles over his words a bit "I-I-I t-thought it was...Miracle?"

"That's my Call-sign...you don't get to call me it. Only those I see fit get to."

Spencer seems to want to form words, but I interrupt him, "You tested me; I believe it is only fair I do the same." I tease, putting my sunglasses back down "My daddy used to say never judge a man by how he shakes your hand but by how they handle the field."

"I mean together we stopped, Walker shouldn't tha-"

"I ain't talking about that field," I smirk before pointing up; Spencer follows my finger to the clear sky with only a few rows of clouds. "The highway in the sky." I explain, "Anyone can stare a killer in the eyes, but it takes a special kind to stare a will of what was never meant for man."

Spencer lets out a breath, his chest rising and falling "You say it's not meant for man, and yet you still pilot?"

"Never said it wasn't meant for a woman," I state, walking up and straight to the cockpit, moving my shades up again; I set my bag down behind me, strapping myself in. A couple of seconds later, Spencer stands behind me "Can I sit?"

Nodding with a smile, he takes the offer, straps himself in, staring at the beautiful piece of machinery in awe. Flipping a couple switches, I power up the plane, engine whirling to life as I place a headset on and hand one to Spencer "This is a G-V-SP Gulfstream G550 in the body you'll hear noise. Up in the pit, the nose of the plane cuts thro-"

"Through the oncoming airforce making so, we have less noise." he finishes.

"See, you got it," I say, driving the bird to the main port and opening up the stairs again. I hear the rest of the agents through the door as I speak to Spencer, "Can you hit the cams-" I'm cut off as Spencer flips on the video so we can keep an eye on the passengers.

He knew this inside and out; it's impressive. "This is different than riding in the back. There you can close the windows here you have a widescreen view." I explain. Spencer grips his seat, nodding, closing the doors it's clear he's on edge.

Taking the walky, I hand it to him "Wanna send them a message?" I joke. Letting out a laugh, he takes the speaker, thinking for a second, "Does the plane have a name?"

Smiling, I answer, "She's called The Legionnaire."

Swallowing at the thrill, he nods, holding the mic to his mouth. "Good morning, agents of the BAU!" he sings, causing me to laugh. "This is your co-pilot speaking welcome aboard The Legionnaire and since it's going to be an enjoyable flight for me! Morgan buckle up!"

Closing off the link, we both lean into the video to see the team searching and laughing at the antics. Flipping a couple more switches, the engine roar even more as I round to a clear stretch of runway "Fly tower H, this is The Legionnaire. How's the sky looking?"

"Crystal clear, Captain Santio." the feed picks up. Grinning, I respond, "Good. Got a rookie with me."

I feel the vibrations beneath me as I pull the yoke back slightly and push forward the lever. "This is The Legionnaire signing off," I state as the plane begins to accelerate forward. Glancing over, I see Spencer grip his chair at the unusual sight of a big warped window.

The tilt-up begins pushing us back into our seats, sending a well-needed rush through my bones. Sky and ground shift from each other as the acceleration courses across my skin, Spencer tightens his grip, his eyes widen.

We break through the clouds, blue, as far as the eye could reach.

Below the earth as if floating through space.

As I level the plane, I peer over at Spencer, he's relaxed, postured in wonderment, lips agaped. Smiling, I speak "Cassiveid."

He breaks from the sky and looks at me, "Cassivied Scott Crossfield Santio. You can call me Cassy."

Grinning back, he nods before staring back out the window "I-It's I-"

"Wonderful." I interrupt, taking in the moment with him, "Congratulations Dr. Reid...you're flying."