C~7: Certain Scent

"Okay, I checked all 7 cab companies that service the Hollywood and Vermont area, and none of the drivers reported picking anyone up between 11:00 and 2:00 the night Linda went missing." Penelope's dismayed tone states through the phone.

Taking my feet off the table, I sit up as Emily asks, "And they know that for sure?"

"Yeah. They seemed really certain."

"Well, one of the drivers may have picked someone up off the meter," Derek adds. Hotch agrees before questioning, "The cabs have GPS?"

"Yeah. Taxis are tracked more than GaGa's Twitter." she pokes fun, causing me to roll my eyes. "Not a real country star, Queen."

"Gaga, oh la la! Ta and ta!" she sings before hanging up to where Emily takes up the conversation, "So there were no Taxis in the area."

"At least one that's not registered." I start, "Gypsy cabs are pretty big where I'm from, fake insignias to look legit." at this, the Cheif sighs, beginning to pace, "There are 2,500 registered cabs in the city and as least as many unregistered."

"No one pays attention when they get in a cab." retorts Rossi shifting in his stance. Emily nods. "If he's unregistered, he's not gonna sit outside taxi stands and wait to pick up fares in the traditional way."

"Which makes him even harder to find." Derek motions, "This guy could be anywhere."

The situation was horrible; my eyes glance at the digital clock where the time was running short. Who knows, Unsub might already have a new victim with him and that patch on the bottom of the foot.

"Detective, can you gather everyone?" request Hotch. "We'd like to give the profile."

The Cheif, Derek, and Emily move out, but my eyes stay on the picture of the foot. As if seeing my gaze Spencer picks up the photo prompting Hotch, "What is it, Reid?"

"When I was in school, we used to use Methanol to separate chemicals from each other. Whenever we did, we would clip a sample of the course material to label and keep net to the output."

Looking up at this, I heave a breath leaning back in the swivel seat "What kinda samples?"

"Square samples 2 inches by 2 inches," he states, holding up the foot photo. "I think this guy's a scientist, and he's experimenting."

At these words, I have to turn away, gulping at the thought of a man using people as human lab rats. Hotch nods. "Gather what you can and meet us for the profile."

"Roger." I swallow, running a hand through my hair. Spencer takes up the file glancing at the map. "You know when you labeled the sites, you got them off."

Blinking, I laugh off the notion, "I did? Guess I'm just a bit out of it." this was a bit true, but knowing Spencer, even for as little as I do, he could probably tell I was lying.

In reality, I tried really hard to label the sights. Still, the map just makes everything seem so jumbled "Left my glasses on my desk." making this up, Spencer accepts this answer with a nod before we both move out to stand before the P.D as Hotch began the profile "We wanted to get a preliminary profile to you as soon as possible because of the type of Unsub we're dealing with here."

Rossi steps up, delivering the details "We believe he's a male caucasian, driving an unregistered gypsy cab. He uses the vehicle to abduct the women."

"Victims are between 20 and 40. We think he's in the same range." adding this, I shove my hands in my pocket while Spencer picks it up. "Add to that his use of Methanol for whatever reason and the aerosolization of chloroform, we believe that we're looking for a very intelligent Unsub."