Chapter Ten

It didn't take long for Meliodas's shock to transform into anger. "I was wondering if I'd see you here." He spat the words at her as if they were poison. "It's been a long time, Pandora." He spoke her name so coldly she could feel her heart begin to shatter. He rarely said her full name and now he said it as if the very word bothered him. All of his friends started between the set of siblings, not understanding the interaction for what it was. They watched Meliodas stare at a woman as if she were his enemy and she looked as if her heart was being torn from her chest. "I'm glad you're here. Dead, I mean. I don't have to wonder if I'll ever be forced to see you again." The blonde turned away from his sister as if every second looking at her was a waste of his time.

"Don't listen to him, he's just hurt." That voice. It had only been a few years since she last heard it in the necropolis, but it felt like an eternity. Pandora frantically looked for her friend and she appeared right beside her, a soft smile spread across her lips. Pandora wrapped her arms tightly around her best friend. "Are you well?"

"And I thought you guys could watch over us on the other side." Her friend gave her an exasperated look.

"Yes, we can watch over you, but I can't read your mind. For some reason, you refuse to ever talk about how you feel." Her friend looked at her sadly. "Not everyone is as evil as you think they are. You should open up to people more."

"We'll see." Pandora hugged her friend again. "I miss you."

"And I you. Remember that I'm always with you." Without another word, she disappeared as if she were never there. Pandora stared at the place where her friend stood, pain cutting through her. It never got easier being separated by death from someone you care about.

"Are you alright?" Ban asked softly, not wanting to upset the blonde.

"Just fine. I'm excited for the next time I run into you all. I think it would be beneficial for me to clear up the misunderstanding with Meliodas."

"Misunderstanding? He practically said he's happy you're dead. It doesn't sound like a misunderstanding to me."

"He thinks he's the one who was wronged. He thinks he's the one who was abandoned." As she moved to run a hand through her blonde hair, she was distracted by her fingertips glowing as they began to blow away. She looked around her to notice everyone else seemed to be having the same problem. Pandora closed her green eyes, letting herself dissolve into the light. When her eyes reopened, she was back in the field yet again.

"Run," Ban grabbed her arm and spun them around so his tall frame blocked her from view. "Or else he'll know you're here."

"Why are you protecting me?" Looking into his eyes for just a second she knew he was asking himself that question. She looked over to her unconscious friend and then back into the red eyes in front of her. "I can't leave-"

"Go. They won't hurt her but I will make sure of it. I promise." She sent him a grateful smile before running away from the small group. She kept running until she could hide behind a tree. She leaned up against it to catch her breath and slid down it into a seated position. Her fingers combed through blonde hair as she tried to calm her breathing. Was Meliodas the one who had the right to be angry? If she was stronger, they wouldn't have been alone, suffering all that time. If she was stronger, she would have stuck by his side. He would have woken up a few hours later and would have explained everything. If she was stronger, she would have been able to bring the dead back to life. She could have saved him and Charlotte if only she was stronger.

The entire situation was almost humorous. Her magical powers were either frowned upon for existing or they weren't enough. Meliodas always told her it was a gift, not a curse. Even though she was shunned by her father for her goddess-like powers, her brother never left her. Yet she abandoned him.

Pandora attempted to shake the thoughts from her mind. She couldn't go back and change anything. All she can hope to do is make things better going forward. She felt as if her thoughts were pulling her in two and she let out a frustrated sigh. What was she thinking? She has a mission to kill them or imprison them. She wasn't on good terms with her brother but she couldn't ignore the relief that flooded through her when she saw him alive. Would she be able to watch the life leave his green eyes by her hand?

She knew no matter how much he hated her, she would never be able to kill him. She wouldn't even be able to watch as someone else killed him. What was she supposed to do? What was she supposed to do with any of this? She was a Holy Knight who couldn't complete her mission. Would she soon be seen as a traitor as well?

Her mind wandered as she made her way home. Everything was about to change, she could feel it. The life she led for the past few years was about to come to an end. It was all too much. She needed the world to freeze, for at least a moment. Too much was changing and evolving. It all needed to stop for a moment.

It was dark by the time she got to the beach. The stars and full moon reflected beautifully. She sat down in the cool sand, hugging her knees to her chest. This was her place. The one place on earth where she felt like time would slow. Maybe not cease altogether but slow. Here, nothing mattered anymore. Of course, that wasn't the truth but it was nice to dream.

Pandora allowed herself to become mesmerized by the waves. They left the shore, but they always came crashing back each and every time without fail. She lost herself in the soothing motion. Something about that certainty gave her a sense of peace. She didn't know how long she sat there watching the waves. The next thing she knew was someone behind her cleared their throat causing her to jump to her feet and unsheath her sword. Ban stood with the end of her sword to her throat with a small smirk, entirely unbothered by the weapon. Putting away her weapon, she sat back down and resumed watching the waves.

"What do you want?"

"How rude. That's the attitude of a person I might not help next time."

"You shouldn't have helped me this time. You shouldn't have helped me ever. I am your enemy. I am supposed to either kill you all or lock you up-"

"Then why haven't you?" The blonde remained silent as she stared at the waves. "Why did the Cap'n react in such a way seeing you? I've never seen him like that."

"He thinks I abandoned him."

"Did you?"

"I...I don't think so. I always felt he abandoned me."

"Past tense? So which is it? Who abandoned who?"

"Listen, it's none of your business. We are enemies and it would do you well to start acting like it." She turned to look at him, but he stared at the ocean with a frown on his face. She let out a sigh and returned her gaze to the ocean. "Don't worry, I'm sure you'll find out soon enough."

~~~

Hi everyone! I am so sorry it's been a while since I've updated. I'm hoping to update more frequently and have the editing done by March or April. If you enjoyed the chapter, please consider giving it a like!