Chapter Two

And just like that, Pandora snapped back into reality, the only face in the mirror being her tear-stained one. She quickly wiped them away. She didn't know why she still felt like this. She didn't know why she was having so much trouble moving on. It came and went in waves. She hadn't let his absence get to her in years, and yet now the pain seemed to pick up right where it left off. He had been gone for years, but the pain didn't dull. It was as if she just lost him all over again.

She took a moment to calm herself. He was gone, but the people she cared about here weren't. She still had them. She took a deep breath and started back towards the younger Holy Knights. Once the field was back in view, she could tell Howzer and Gilthunder were fighting. She could tell they were fighting more to tire the other out than cause any actual damage. Even so, both boys were covered in an array of small cuts and freshly formed bruises. Before another second could pass, both men collapsed onto the ground in exhaustion.

"Up for a rematch?" Howzer mumbled, not showing any sign of getting back up.

"Someone else go. I'm still tired from my mission to Vanya Village yesterday. Pandora could see the annoyance dance in his eyes alongside the defiance. She knew this wasn't him. He didn't want to hurt innocent people, he wanted to help them. Pandora knew something was being held over his head, she just wasn't quite sure what it was. Gilthunder slowly got up from the ground and offered his friend a hand up. Pandora stuffed down the feeling in her stomach and smirked.

"Too bad, you could have lost to me again." All she got in return was an eyeroll. She looked around at the four of them, seeing how exhausted they all looked. Even though Guila and Jericho didn't practice fighting, they still looked so drained. There were still practically kids. "Would the four of you like to come over for dinner tonight?" This had become a normal occurrence after they practiced.

"Not if you're cooking. I've learned my lesson." Gilthunder spoke with a smile, but a hint of fear in his eyes. She wasn't that bad at cooking, was she? In response, she rolled her eyes.

"I can cook. It'll be easier to have it at my house anyway, I have to watch Zeal."

"Sounds like a plan. Also, my cooking isn't that bad."

"Are you kidding? You are awful at cooking. But if you want, I could try to teach you?" Guila offered, making Pandora smile.

"You mean it? You don't think I'm a lost cause?" She's tasted her own cooking before. She knew that it was one step away from being a crime against humanity.

"Of course not! You just need a little practice. You can help us with blade work, we'll help you with cooking." Gilthunder looked up at the sun, noticing how high in the sky it had gotten.

"I have to go on a mission. I'll be back early this evening so I'll meet you guys there."

"Okay Gil, we'll see you later. Be safe." Gilthunder nodded slightly with a small smile on his face.

"No promises." In response, Pandora glared at him. He raised his hands in mock defense. "Sorry Andie."

"I told you not to call me that stupid nickname! Now go before you get in trouble for being late." Pandora playfully pushed him in the direction of the castle, making laughter from the five knights echo through the small field.

"I'll see you guys later, I have some paperwork to catch up on." That was something she didn't expect when she became a Diamond Rank Holy Knight. And yet, she had piles and piles of paperwork. Most of the papers relating to the Seven Deadly Sins. They weren't even a problem anymore. They were all either dead, locked up, or weren't harming anyone. She didn't understand why it was such a big deal.

"No, you're going to help me go shopping. If you're going to learn to cook, you need to learn how to shop first."

"I'm not entirely incompetent, I know how to shop."

"Buying food from a tavern doesn't count as shopping." Pandora opened her mouth to argue but was cut off. "And neither does buying alcohol. Come on, you aren't getting out of this." Guila grabbed her wrist and started pulling her in the direction of the market. Pandora would much rather be doing anything else than going shopping. It was always such a mundane task for her that she tried to avoid it at all costs. Once they finally got to the market, they were met with a bulletin board with the wanted posters for the Seven Deadly Sins. Pandora looked at it almost in a bored manner, while Guila looked on with an unusual glint in her eyes. "Do you think we'll ever capture all of them?" Pandora let her green eyes look at each picture for a moment, her eyes settling on the captain of the group. He looked nothing like the Meliodas she knew, yet the name taunted her. It felt like everything was taunting her nowadays anyway.

"Maybe. Doesn't seem likely if I'm being entirely honest."

"How can you say that when you already caught one of them?"

"Because after ten years, only one has ever been caught."

"But if you could catch one, you could catch all of them."

"No, Guila." Pandora's face lacked any sort of humor. "I know the Holy Knights tell it as this long dramatic tale, but it was nothing like that. The Fox Sin wanted to be captured, I'm sure of it. I've never met him, but I've heard stories. He wouldn't have let himself be taken, at least not quietly. I also know that if he wanted out of Baste Prison, he would already be gone." She spoke matter-of-factly as if the idea didn't bother her.

"Does that not scare you? Does it not scare you that he could escape at any moment?"

"He wouldn't. My guess is he's going to stay there until he finds something worth escaping for, and I can't imagine that happening any time soon. So don't worry about it. Come on, let's go find the ingredients we need for dinner." As they walked away, Pandora's eyes lingered on the blue-haired man. All those years ago, she expected a fight. She expected him to try and avoid being captured, and yet, he practically walked willingly into the cell. She's seen criminals before. That wasn't an act of repentance. He had given up. He had a look on his face that she'd never be able to forget. Like he lost everything he cared about. She wasn't scared when she saw him. Her heart hurt for him.

"Did you hear one of the princesses ran away?" Pandora shook her head, but her mind was elsewhere. "It was Princess Elizabeth. They're making wanted posters as we speak to try and find her. We're supposed to bring her back no matter what."

"That would be rather difficult for me saying as I have never met the girl."

"You haven't? I've met them loads of times." Pandora shook her head again.

"They very rarely station me at the palace. Most of the time they send me out on missions." The two chatted while grabbing the things they needed, gently putting the ingredients into their baskets.

"Lady Pandora! I'm glad I found you!" I young knight spoke, panting for breath slightly after running to her. "Great Holy Knight Hendrickson needs to speak with you immediately!" Pandora huffed in an annoyed manner. She never liked Hendrickson. There was always something off about him, but Pandora could never quite put her finger on it.

"I'll catch up with you later, Guila. I shouldn't be long." The younger girl nodded and left the market in the direction of her home. Pandora turned and followed the young knight towards the castle. She ran a hand through her blonde hair, trying to make it more presentable. Once they got to the office, the knight opened the door for her and quickly shut it. She smirked to herself, finding it funny how many knights were terrified of her. "What do you want, Hendrickson?" He sat down at his desk and motioned for Pandora to do the same.

"I have a mission for you."