Chapter Thirteen

"Pandora, you can't expect me to make this kind of decision. Sticking by your side would mean becoming a traitor to the kingdom. I'd be throwing away everything I've worked for." Pandora nodded sadly, breaking eye contact. "But abandoning you would mean betraying one of the most important people in my life." Pandora looked up at him, eyes full of hope. He ran a hand through his hair. "Pandora, how am I supposed to-"

"Take some time to think it over. I have to get up there for my match anyways." Pandora said, nodding to the ring. "Wish me luck." Pandora jumped up into the ring without waiting for his response.

"I assume you're Diane?" Pandora asked, matter-of-factly. Diane's face had a look of pure horror on it.

"What are you talking about? My name's Matrona!" Pandora giggled.

"Don't worry I won't tell anyone. I actually have some things to talk about with your leader."

"You're not going to hurt him or turn us in, right?" Diane asked, worry filling her purple eyes.

"I couldn't even if I wanted to." Her brother was alive. She had tried so desperately to make herself forget that fact. To believe that this was some awful joke someone was playing on her. But it wasn't, her brother was alive. She hated him more than anyone else...but she also loved him more than anyone else. Her older brother was alive. She had prayed for this until she lost her voice and it came true. How foolish it would be to let him slip from her grasp yet again. She needed her older brother.

The crowd yelled at the two to stop talking and fight, snapping the blonde from her daze. Pandora sighed and got into a fighting stance and her opponent did the same. Diane sent a quick punch at the blonde's face but she quickly dodged, ducking under her arm so she was behind the shortened giant. She went to kick Diane's legs to knock her off balance but the brunette caught her leg.

Pandora quickly kicked it out of her grasp, doing a flip to avoid another attack. The two kept attacking each other, predicting the other's attacks and defending accordingly. Pandora let her eyes wander over to her brother whose eyes were on her. This split second was long enough for Diane to land a hard hit on Pandora's jaw. As Pandora's head flew to the side, a few drops of blood came from her mouth as well. Pandora knew she was normally a giant but she was still extremely strong.

Diane kept attacking her, pushing Pandora closer and closer to the edge. But she had a plan. She was going to pretend she was weakened by the last attack and then push her opponent out at the last second. They got closer and closer to the edge while Pandora kept dodging Diane's attacks but only slightly. Pandora felt her heels hanging over the edge of the ring and a small smile spread across her lips.

Diane sent a large punch to Pandora, hoping to knock her out of the ring. The blonde quickly ducked and grabbed her wrist. In one fluid motion, she flipped Diane out of the ring, becoming the last person standing in the ring. Pandora quickly jumped out of the ring and helped Diane up, making sure she was okay.

"Sorry about that. I just really have to talk to your leader." Pandora said, offering Diane a hand up. Diane smiled and took it gratefully.

"You were a good opponent." Diane said, her eyes sparkling.

"As were you." The girls smiled for a moment until Howzer grabbed Pandora's hand, pulling her away from the arena and into the town.

Howzer, what's going on? Where are we going?" He ignored her but finally stopped under a large tree, far away from anyone who could overhear their conversation.

"What am I supposed to do?" Howzer asked but mostly himself. "I can't abandon the kingdom but I can't abandon you." Howzer paused for a second. "Why do you want to protect them all of a sudden, I thought you wanted their leader dead?"

"I...I don't know, Howzer. I don't know what I want but I know I can't kill him."

"Why not, Pandora? He's the leader of the Sins."

"Two wrongs don't make a right." Pandora said softly.

"What on earth are you talking about?"

"He hurt me but that doesn't mean I have to hurt him." Howzer looked at her in confusion. "But I'm not going to let him think he's the only one that suffered because he's not." Howzer looked lost. "Howzer, I'm sorry. I truly am. But I have to do this." Pandora looked at the ground sadly. In all of her years of living, she very rarely found such a good friend. Howzer was silent for a moment.

"What if we just don't fight each other." Pandora looked at him oddly. "I won't attack you, you won't attack me. That way we aren't betraying each other but I can still be loyal to the kingdom." Pandora smiled.

"Wow, you know just what to say to a girl." Pandora laughed but Howzer rolled his eyes. "I'd like that. Not killing each other would be nice." Pandora paused, hearing a loud commotion coming from the fighting ring. "You should go back, it sounds like something really cool is happening."

"But what are you-"

"I just need a moment then I'll catch up with you." Pandora smiled at him but it wasn't very reassuring. Howzer nodded and walked back, getting the hint Pandora wanted to be alone. She pulled a small blossom off of the tree, analyzing it in her hand. She noticed the dog again. It was standing about fifteen feet from her, the hair on its back raised. Now that it was closer, she could see it better. It was a medium height for a dog but it looked like it was hunching over in fear. She almost looked like a gray wolf but she could tell she was domestic, at least at some point. Her ribs and matted fur made it clear she had been without an owner for quite some time.

Pandora carefully knelt down to the ground and let the dog approach her. It did, slowly and cautiously. The dog started snarling warningly but she ignored it and stayed where she was without moving an inch. She didn't know if it was idiotic or brave but she was too far in to change her mind. The dog started to snarl louder but Pandora remained still.

"You've had a tough life, huh?" The dog kept approaching. "You're not going to scare me away. I can tell you're afraid. It's going to be alright." The dog's nose was about a foot from her own. The dog still snarled and growled and it moved slowly towards her, looking her right in the eye. Pandora suddenly realized just how idiotic this was. She was face to face with a dog that could attack her because for some reason she thought the dog would understand her. Because she was so desperate to be understood she was willing to risk her own safety for it.

The blonde shut her eyes, letting whatever was going to happen, happen. She could feel the dog's hot breath against her face. The dog snarled louder and Pandora mentally cursed herself. What the hell was she thinking? Just because the dog was a stray didn't mean she had to get herself killed trying to comfort it. She mentally prepared herself for the dog attack so she was pleasantly surprised when the dog licked her face instead.

Pandora giggled and pet the dog lovingly. "See. You're alright. You just need a friend, that's all." She felt the dog's neck for a collar but didn't feel any. "You don't have an owner, huh?" The dog whimpered as if it understood. Pandora continued to pet the dog. "Well now you do. You don't have to be alone anymore." Arctic blue eyes met emerald green ones. At that moment, it was as if both of them knew they were in it together from here on out. They had each other.

The dog started growling again but this time, it wasn't at Pandora, it was at something behind her. She quickly whipped around, grabbing a knife from a pocket in her dress, and held it to the person's neck.