~3~

Jacks pov

I walk in through the front door and I'm already tired of all the noise. Tons of people talking and walking, loud barely illegible voice blaring over speakers, and lockers slamming left and right.

I sigh and put my earbuds in, scrolling through my phone and clicking my favorite playlist, smooth slow rock.

I mostly used it when I smoked, but it helps calm me down too. I start walking through the halls and catch some people staring at me, not surprised..I'm a new person in such a small town.

I slip my bag off my shoulders and rummage through it, finding and pulling out my schedule they mailed to me. First class is history with Mrs. Williams.

And no room number...great.

The halls are slowly empyting as people head to their classrooms. I see who I assume is a teacher waving to people and greeting them as they walk in..maybe she'll know.

I take out my ear buds and approach the woman, she turns to me and smiles. "Hello sweetie. Don't recognize you. Ya knew?" She asks, her thick Jamaican accent quite pleasant.

"Yeah im new.  I'm looking for Mrs. Williams class?" I say as I stuff my earbuds and schedule back into my bag.

"Ya found her! I'm Mrs. Williams sweetheart. And you are?" She says gestering to me. "Names Jack. You're my first class."

Mrs. Williams is a dark skinned short woman. She has big curly poofy hair and a big bright smile to match. Her fingers and arms were lined with gold rings and bracelets.

"Well class is just about to start! Why dont ya head in and find a seat. Don't have assigned seats as long as students behave. Most are taken, how aboout" she taps her chin with her bright red nails as she scans the classroom with her eyes. "Why don't ya go sit next to Mark sweetheart? He's a shy kid but once he opens up he's as sweet as candy." I recognise the name Mark and look over at him, sitting at the two people table. He looks..upset

"Sure thing." She pats my back as I walk in and continues greeting students happily. I take a quick look around her room. Maybe of the stereotypical teacher and history posters.

I look at the desk in the front corner of the room and see two flags. A gay and straight alliance flag, and a black lives matter flag. I smile at the two flags. "I'm gonna like this teacher." I think to myself.

I head over to Mark, he doesn't even looks up at me, he's just staring down at the table. I shrug and put my bag next to the table and slide into the chair.

"Hey. I'm jack." I say, Mark jumps as I speak up, was he so lost in thought he didn't even see me sit down? "Oh..s-sorry my names Mark." He says and looks back at the desk.

Mrs. Williams wasn't lying about him being shy. I reach into my bag. "Hey is this by chance yours?" I ask as I pull out the now dry sketchbook.

Mark looks over at it and his eyes widen slightly. "Y-you found it!" I hand it to him and he starts flipping through the pages. A smile forming on his face as he sees most of the drawings are untouched, just a little wrinkled and damp.

I smile back. "Found it in the field..I'm guessing you weren't the one who crushed it like that."

Mark looks at me and sighs, shaking his head as he starts drying it with his sleeve. "No..wasn't me.." I can easily tell what probaly happened. I could smell the meathead jocks from the parking lot.

But..I dont want to pry. "Well. Now you have it back and you can keep filling it. Your drawsigs are amazing by the way." I say just as the bell rings.