Chapter 3

Jolting awake I reach my hand out trying to locate my phone to turn this bloody alarm off. I slide my hand around in the covers with my eyes still closed. I feel the rough exterior of the case before flipping it over, tapping on the screen a couple of times before finally finding the snooze button I let out a groan before opening my eyes and sitting up.

Beautiful day today I note to myself looking out the window, bright sunlight trailed through the window, and behind that is the blue sky as far as the eye can see. I grab my phone in one hand while swinging my legs off the edge of the bed and make my way towards the bathroom. I push the door open placing my phone on the counter while I pick up my brush running it through my hair a few times before grabbing an elastic and pulling my hair into a neat ponytail high on my head.

Skip the make-up today, it's going to be busy and hot in the shop and the last thing I want is to be looking like a hot mess I thought before brushing my teeth and giving myself a once over to make sure I look presentable. I begin making my way back into my room and head towards my closet. I let my hand run along the clothing feeling the fabric before grabbing out a light denim dress that falls to the knees with 3/4 sleeves, it was perfect for today it was cool enough to work in the heat while still providing quite a bit of coverage. I slip into the dress before heading downstairs. As I walked toward the kitchen I noticed it was too silent for dad to be in there making his breakfast.

Odd I thought normally dad is still here when I leave, before I let my mind run wild I noticed a small white note on the table.

Had to work early, might be a little later than planned tonight. Raincheck on the movie? -Dad

I place the small white note down before grabbing a cup of coffee from the pot, hmm still warm he couldn't have left too long ago then. I let the warm bitter drink warm me up as I glance at the clock. 7:15 just on time, perfect I thought gulping down the rest of the coffee. Placing the cup in the sink I walk toward the front door tossing my phone into my bag before slinging it over my shoulder, I slip on a pair of shoes and continue to walk out the door.

I let the warm spring air wash over me. I was right it is a lovely day today I thought, closing and locking the door behind me. I step down onto the sidewalk picking up the pace as I continue on the familiar walk to the little book store. I love the mornings, there are barely any people out and about on the streets yet other than a handful of cars heading to work. It is peaceful, I love when the world is still. As I walk I admire the flowers starting to bloom around the city as pops of pink, purple, and white have begun to appear. Far too soon for my liking on a day like today, I turned the last corner heading into the final block before I reached the shop. The glass door soon came into view, I pulled my keys out of my bag before slotting the correct one into the door and twisting. I listened for the audible click before pulling my keys free, putting them back into my bag, and pulling the door open.

"Hello Dear" Mark yells before popping out of the back room.

"Good morning to you, Where's Mary today?" I question

Mark shakes his head before continuing;

"She's not feeling too great today, I offered to stay home and keep an eye on her but she wouldn't have any of that. She said I better get before she had to get up and chase me here herself."

The sound of Mark's deep chuckle filled the shop and I couldn't help laughing along as well at the mental image of that tiny lady chasing Mark down the street in her pajamas.

"You know she would too" I state with a wink before making my way into the back and placing my bag down before pinning my name tag to my dress and heading back out onto the floor.