Chapter 8

"Hello! I'm not going to apologize for this being later than I thought because I re-wrote this chapter 8 times trying to decide where I wanted the story to go. It's done now so have fun! -Em"

It's been a week now since I got here and I guess I have fallen into somewhat of a routine. I wake up make some coffee, read one of the many books that line the walls of the small cabin, take a nap, read some more, make dinner, and wait for dad.

It took a few days but I finally understand why dad sent me here, off-grid nothing to be tempted to contact him with so at this point I'm practically untraceable. I haven't risked going outside yet but I know I will have to eventually before I go stir crazy in this tiny 2 room cabin. We have the main room that consists of a stove, sink, and fridge, then we have the dining room table and lastly my bed. In the room just offside there is a toilet and small sink. Other than the fact I haven't quite figured out how to turn the water on it has been pretty peaceful.

Standing I grab the warm cup of instant coffee I made and move toward the window. Brushing the curtains slightly to the side I peek out making sure no one is out there, I gaze into the tree line not too far from the cabin watching for any movement. After a few moments of staring, I deem it is safe enough and pull the curtains all the way back letting the sun stream through the window.

The bright sun warmed my skin, humming in content I pull a chair up and plop down before resting my feet on the old wood windowsill.

"A little sun should help your mood," I say aloud to myself

I'm betting by now the wolves have turned the city upside down looking for me, I wonder if they have expanded the search to the surrounding forests or if they believe I am long gone. Did dad join the search to keep up the façade or if he bored himself up in the house o play the grieving father? I let my mind run wild now that I'm alone making up scenarios of the outside world to help me feel more connected. For me, it's not easy being cut off from all communication for everyone sure I like to be alone sometimes but this isolation is weighing on me a little more than I expected.

Taking a deep breath I recoil a little, my body odor might be weighing on me a bit too. I forgot there was no shower here until the second day and now a little over a week I'm dying for one.

Looking longingly out the window I know there is a slow-flowing river not too far from here. I brought my hand up to my face chewing on the corner of my nail letting my anxieties get the worst of me.

It's been a week Casey and no one has found you yet I thought.

But you have been protected inside the walls for over a week some part of me rebuttals.

Ugh I'll be fine it'll be twenty minutes tops I decided pushing myself out of the chair. I walk over to the bed in the corner grabbing the backpack dad sent me herewith, reaching inside I riffle around for a minute until my hand locates the rough fluff of the towel.

I give it one good tug before gathering the heap of fabric in my arms. Quickly I walk over to the sink grabbing the dish soap from the edge

"Well, this will have to do," I say to no one in particular.

With that, I grab the small bronze key off the table and unclasp my necklace sliding the chain through the hole at the top of the key before securing it around my neck again.

Don't want to lose that I think as I push the cabin door open. I take a deep breath before stepping out onto the soft green grass and making the short trip to my destination.

A smile takes over my face as a warm breeze passes over my skin. I love the dark greens of the forest in contrast with the light pops of color from the wildflowers in this area.