Chapter 7

Iris and Jack had been courting for a while now. Iris was very happy. Bates was protective and didn't want her rushing into it. Anna talked to Iris more often now and gave her advice. "What was it like for you and father at the start?" Iris asked her one day.
"Well one time he brought a tray of food when I had a cold. I was quite enchanted."
"You and father have the best love story ever."
"And why is that?"
"You've both survived so much together."
"And you've survived a lot in your life as well."
"Yes. And I'm so glad that my brother is dead. He won't bother me or any other female ever again."
"Did you know any of his victims?" Anna said seriously now, as her smile faded.
"Yes, he attacked my best friend. I don't know where she is now. He died after that. Then my adoptive father killed himself. And my adoptive mother ran off with a man before any of this happened."
"It's a horrible thing to think of." Anna said comfortingly.
"Yes, well, I'll speak no more about it. Anyway, Jack and I are going to the pictures tonight."
"That sounds nice. Your father and I are going out to dine. We'll be back before the gong."
"We might get back late."
"Oh. By the way I haven't been feeling that well today. I'm going to see the doctor tomorrow."
"Would you like me to come with you?"
"No, your father is coming with me. You should stay here and daydream about Jack while you work." Anna said teasing.
"How do you know that I daydream about him while I work?"
"Because I daydreamed about your father while I worked as a housemaid." Anna said smiling.