Movie Soundtracks | Coming of Age

Hey lovelies! So I had the idea to come up with playlist that I thought would suit best for a certain movie type/genre. A movie score is one of the most important things in cinema because it sets the mood for whatever scene is about to happen and immerses the viewers even more into the plot. Let's give it a go: coming of age movie edition!

A-Punk | Vampire Weekend

This first song is literally the perfect tune for a Nickelodeon/Disney Channel opening scene in a tween movie. The first flick that comes to mind is Diary Of A Wimpy Kid and how it would fit in so perfectly with Greg Hefley energetic and chaotic energy. I can almost see the opening credits on a large tv screen!

Teen Heat | Kimbra

Dreamy and very psychedelic pop, I picture this song playing in the background while the main character is either preparing to go somewhere (homecoming dance, party, etc.) or hanging out with their friends. Also, since this semi-ballad is all about love and intimacy, maybe it could playing during a scene where the protagonist is slowly falling in love with their love interest.

Unbothered | Tori Kelly

I'm getting montage vibes from this one! Picture it: it's summertime and the main cast is hanging out at the skate park, the beach, the mall, wherever it is that they're chilling at and you see them doing a series of fun activities while smiling, laughing and being silly with each other. Only good vibes here!

Seventeen Forever | Metro Station

Alright, this is giving very much 'welcome to your new high school', don't you think? I could see this song being used during a series of shots establishing the new school where the protagonist will be attending. On the flip side, if we stay true to the lyrics, it could play while the main couple flee from their homes by car and have a wild night out, as if they would be seventeen forever :)

Girlfriend | Charlie Puth

It's montage time again! This time, it's a whacky date montage! Of course, the inspiration obviously comes from the music video, but if we wanted to switch it up a little, how about using it during a school Valentine's Day scene where the main character tries to catch their crush's attention? I think it would be so cute!

ROYL | Chloe x Halle

I'm getting opening scene vibes again! Imagine your protagonist (most likely female) walking down the streets with their earbuds (or air pods if we're going for some sort of realism), dodging and waving to all kinds of people on the sidewalk as the opening credits show up a little everywhere (like in trees, on someone's lawn, engraved in a car plaque, etc.), wouldn't that be so cool?! I also think it could easily fit in a Black girl coming of age movie because this song is oozing with black girl magic!

I hope you liked my selection! Comment if you have a song that would be perfect for a teen/tween modern coming of age movie! Lastly, what movie soundtrack/playlist would you like to see in this book?

~ Shaana