heatwaves - jack x davey

angsty javid is really fun to write

!slight nsfw but nothing too major
<><><><><><><><><><><>

THIRD-PERSON POV

Davey Jacobs was tired.

Tired of being a newsie. Tired of being the only source of income for his family, since his father's leg was taking a lot longer than to heal than it should be. Tired of the hot summer sun beating down on his back as his raw and strained voice barely rang through the bustling streets of Manhattan.

He was even starting to become tired of Jack.

Jack Kelly: the leader of the Manhattan newsies and Davey's best friend. How Davey could ever grow tired of the only person who's able to make him smile at any time of the day was beyond him. The person who would knock at his window at 2 am, pulling Davey outside with him and bringing him to a new and interesting place every time it occurred. These spontaneous moments that Jack had startled Davey when they first met, but he had grown used to them in the past couple months. Davey's family started treating Jack as though he was their own, making Davey's heart do a flip, which was happening a lot more often then he had initially wanted, especially when Jack was around.

Jack might have been the most oblivious, beautiful, stupid human being that Davey has ever met. He was glad that he met Jack, don't get him wrong, but sometimes he just wanted to grab his shoulders and shake him vigorously, and other times he wanted to kiss Jack so hard until both of their lips turned purple.

Davey had fallen hard for his best friend, and he was sick of it. He was sick and tired of Jack's shameless, bro-like flirting that made no sense; Jack's words only made Davey's head spin, making him nauseous. Davey had no idea what Jack's intentions were with the flirting, or the constant handshaking, or the fact that Jack always had an arm swung across Davey's shoulders, except for when it was just the two of them. At those times, Jack's hand would find its way to Davey's waist.

Jack's blind ass had the curly-haired brunet under a spell; but if he was being honest, Davey didn't mind very much, except for the nights when he found himself holding back sobs as Les slept peacefully beside him. Except for the nights he spent on the fire escape outside his bedroom window, staring out numbly at the sleeping city below him, not even noticing the purple tinge that started appearing on his fingertips. Jack had no idea of the affect that he had on Davey, which only crushed him more.

Just as Jack had painting, Davey had writing. He would write for hours on end, writing out his feelings about Jack, hoping that it would somehow wash away the ultimatum that was always crashing around in his jumbled brain. He could either leave things as they are and continue being devoured by all the raw emotion that flooded his brain when he looked at Jack, or he could tell him how he felt, which could result in two things: Jack feeling the same way, or Jack not feeling the same, which could end in heartbreak or a potential end to their friendship. Davey had no hope for the first option at all.

But tonight, Davey found himself writing the most poetic, four-phrase line that he's ever written.

Sometimes all I think about is you
Late nights in the middle of June
Heatwaves been faking me out
Can't make you happier now

He looked down at the page in front of him, wondering where the hell that came from before he brushed it off, shoving the notebook onto his nightstand and falling back into bed, completely aware of the sleepless night that lay ahead.

The next morning, Davey woke up to a gentle knock on his window. He opened his eyes, rubbing at them a bit, before turning his attention to the window, his eyes meeting Jack's bright ones. He climbed out of bed, making sure not to wake Les, before slipping on a shirt and pants and climbing out the window.