Untitled Part 3

"Hi Liz, Luke," she greets, shutting the trunk to her hatchback. Uneasiness is obvious in her voice. She hopes it will take Calum a few extra minutes to find the specialty baby formula. Or maybe Liz and Luke are in a hurry and they will be gone before her brother finishes shopping.

"Hello Mali," Luke says softly. He looks around. Mali can see the apprehension and hope combined in his eyes. She wonders if he’s searching for her brother.

"It’s been over a year since we last saw you! We’ve missed you and Calum!" Liz throws her arms around Mali Koa in an enthusiastic hug. She returns the hug, but she is focused on Luke who is staring back at her with questioning eyes. In the next moment, surprise replaces the question in those blue eyes as Luke focuses on something behind her.

Oh darn. Calum must be done.

"Calum! You have a baby!" Liz is obviously as surprised as her son to see the tiny bjorn strapped to Calum’s chest.

Mali turns apprehensively back towards her brother. Calum approaches them slowly, arms wrapped protectively around the small bundle in his arms.

"Hah, yea - I guess I do," Calum answers in the way of a greeting with an awkward smile. He acknowledges Luke with a tip of his head. Mali notices the trace hint of fear in her brother’s eyes. He adjusts the blanket to cover more of Lucas’s face, doing his best to obscure his son’s downy blond hair and wide blue eyes.

"We didn’t hear anything about this!" Liz continues. "Is it yours? Are you married?"

Calum answers Liz, but stares directly at Luke. “He was just born three months ago. It’s been so busy trying to take care of him that we didn’t have time to call anyone yet. He is mine, and unfortunately, things didn’t work out with the mother.”

Liz tuts sympathetically, but Luke hasn’t reacted at all. He is glued to his spot, staring back at Calum in astonishment and hurt. Mali bitterly wonders if Luke remembers that he’s getting married to another person; as far as she’s concerned, that bastard has no right to be hurt about anything.

"Well, it’s all right - sometimes, these things are for the best." Liz’s eyes are soft and without judgement. "At least you’ve got a beautiful baby boy to show for it. What’s his name?" She moves closer to try to get a better look.

Calum’s first instinct is to turn away and pull his baby closer into his chest. If he’s not careful, this innocent run-in could change his entire life. But he knows trying to hide his child now would only raise more questions and he allows Liz to step closer.

"Lucas David Hood," he answers her question softly, watching Luke’s blue eyes widen. They’re so familiar… 

"Lucas!" Liz sounds as shocked. "Well! That’s a great choice! Luke can pretend you named your son after him," she laughs and coos at the baby. Lucas blinks and then breaks out into a tiny giggle. "Oh! He’s just beautiful, Calum! He’s got your smile, I think. But even his eyes the same shade as Luke’s.  I suppose he gets those from his mother!" 

Luke lets out an audible gasp at Liz’s observation. Mali Koa can almost see the wheels begin to turn in his head as he stares at the baby. He starts moving towards Calum and Lucas, craning his neck to try to get a closer look; Calum immediately takes a step back, wrapping his arms a little tighter around his son and covering his head again. That same hurt look passes over Luke’s eyes again and he pauses mid-step.

Realizing that the situation is becoming more and more precarious, Mali Koa quickly re-enters back into the conversation. “I’m so sorry, Calum!” She apologizes. “I’m quite late for my recording session and you know I have that magazine shoot this evening.” She hopes it sound believable.

Her brother’s grateful eyes turn towards her. Obviously, he has also realized that Luke is going to figure out sooner rather than later just who Lucas’s ‘mother’ is.

"I’d forgotten," Calum plays along. "I guess we should get going then."

"Oh," Liz’s face falls, obviously upset at the very short meeting with the two siblings. "Well, we have no idea why you haven’t come around, Calum. But you know you’re always welcome at our house. Of course Luke isn’t there much these days. The wedding is coming up in just about a month, and Aleisha’s incredibly stressed out. You’ve gotten the invitation, I think. Supposedly, there’s a bakery around the corner that makes the best wedding cakes in Sydney…" She continues talking, oblivious to the pain that colors Calum’s features.

But Mali is paying closer attention to her brother. She watches in sympathy as his jaw tightens when Liz mentions Luke’s wedding plans.

"Yes. We did get the invitation. Congratulations, Luke!" Calum’s voice sounds forcefully cheery and Mali knows he must be close to having a break-down. Lucas was just six weeks old when Luke’s wedding invitation arrived in their mail-box. Calum had sobbed hysterically for an hour on the couch, only stopping when Lucas woke up from his nap and started crying for a feeding. Mali had later burnt up that invitation and then thrown it out like so much trash.

"Um… thanks," Luke mumbles back, eyes firmly planted on his feet. He has no right to feel awkward about this, Mali Koa decides.

Mali starts herding Calum towards the passenger seat. “We will do our best to be there.” It’s an empty promise. There is no way any of the Hoods are going to be present at Luke and Aleisha’s wedding. The only one who seems not to realize that is Liz.

"We should get going too, Luke," Liz tugs at her son’s arm, pulling him away. But Luke is focused on her brother.

Calum is careful as he climbs into his seat, moving slow so as not to disturb his baby. Mali notices how closely Luke watches her brother and nephew as she shuts the door. She knows the faster this interaction ends, the better off Calum will be.

"Well, it was nice to catch up," she says as goodbye, walking around to the drivers’ side. "Hopefully, we see each other soon!" 

"Call us!" Liz raises her arm up to wave them goodbye. She sounds cheerful and oblivious. Obviously, Luke revealed nothing of what happened that night to his family.

Mali Koa is angry. Calum did not have the luxury of keeping things private. Of course, Calum is also the one with Lucas.