Untitled Part 4

Every single day, every word you say, I’ll be watching you,”Calum hums the lyrics to Police’s classic 80s song as he rocks Lucas gently back and forth in his arms and paces the floor. His baby blinks up at him, yawning contentedly. He has just been fed and changed so there’s a good chance he is going to be down for the count. Maybe even for a couple of hours.

Calum fantasizes about doing some writing, or better yet, taking a nap. He has just put Lucas down in his crib when there’s a floor-shaking, baby-waking Bang! Bang! at his door.

Lucas is instantly up again, this time crying loudly in protest at having been disturbed from his peaceful sleep.  

Who the hell?! Calum is about to kill the idiot trying to break down his door. He was looking forward to a few blessed hours of peace and quiet. Now he’s going to be spending the next fifteen minutes trying to calm down his frightened child and then who knows when Lucas will want to sleep again. He picks Lucas back up in his arms and coos at him gently. Lucas’s sobs pause for a second and he hiccups, trying to catch his breath.

Bang! Bang!

Lucas wails louder and Calum starts to see red.

"Aww… don’t worry, kiddo. Papa’s gonna murder whoever woke you up," he promises gently, dropping a couple of sweet kisses on his child’s forehead. He walks quickly across his apartment, not bothering to try and be silent as he reaches the door. Without bothering to check through the peep-hole, he yanks the door open.

"What?!" He demands, trying to maintain as much calm as possible in his voice to not terrify his baby. "Who do you think you are, ass-" The words die in his throat as he finally looks up and realizes who is standing in his doorway.

Luke is studying them carefully. There was a time when Calum could read his face like a book. Now, all he can identify is a mixture of anger and possessiveness in those tired blue eyes. His blond stubble is way past the point of a five o’clock shadow and his hair is tucked haphazardly under a snap-back. Luke is as gorgeous as ever, even if he is more exhausted than Calum is used to seeing him.

"L-Luke…" he says, tensing immediately. His arms instinctively tighten around Lucas, as he steps back and pulls his baby closer into his chest as if he’s trying to shield him from whatever this is. Apparently, Lucas senses his nervous tension, because his crying softly quiets down and he roots his face against Calum’s chest, seeking comfort.

Luke senses Calum’s apprehension as well. It’s the second time his beautiful ex-lover has physically moved to try to put more distance between Luke and himself. It breaks his heart but doesn’t deter him.

"He’s mine, isn’t he?" Luke asks, moving slowly and deliberately towards the entrance.

Calum’s eyes widen and his breath comes in a little shallower. “W-what?!” He squeaks. “What are you talking about, Luke?! Male pregnancies happen like one in a million. You think you beat those odds and got me knocked up?!” He carefully shifts Lucas’s weight into one arm and reaches the other towards the door, trying to close it on Luke.

Luke growls and pushes the door open again. “No,” he shakes his head. “You’re not going to keep me away anymore. You’re not going to hide from me anymore.” Without so much as a by-your-leave, he invites himself into Calum’s apartment then shuts the door firmly behind him.

Calum starts to panic, breathing even faster now. This could not be happening! “L-Luke, what are you doing?!” He hopes he sounds more confident than he feels. Blood rushes into his ears as he backs further into his apartment, feeling so unprotected and vulnerable in his own home right now.