chapter 12: curious

Alessandro Prince Chavicci

"I'm sorry that this is happening. I don't know that even if we did get married that this could be prevented."

"Sandro, there's nothing that you could have done to prevent something like this. The only thing you can prevent is me getting hurt. You didn't know, and that's not your fault."

I hold her tighter to my body, silently thanking her for being so understanding in this terrible situation. I have a couple of my men digging through old cases and people who would be most likely to want to hurt Sofia in order to hurt me, but most of them are dead or in jail. It's highly unlikely that those in jail have any ability to contact the outside world with the number of detention officers that patrol their area. 

I bet that someone from Sofia's past, even in a brief meeting, is responsible. I have enemies but they are cocky, over-confident bastards. They would go directly to their problem, me, instead of trying to hurt Sofia. Whoever is after her is insecure but trying to be confident and coming off like a cocky asshole.

"Sof, can you think of anyone that might want to hurt you? Maybe it's not even about me, and they are only using me to make it more of a game to get to you."

"Not anyone specific. I have had my fair share of girls that weren't big fans of me, and guys who thought they had a chance, but no one significant."

"It might not be significant to you, but it would be to them. It would be the moment or few moments that they constantly think about. They are willing to do anything to get to you. They would also have to know that the two of us were interested in one another."

"What about the party two months ago? Do you have a list of those who might have or did attend? That's when you practically announced who you wanted your future to be, me."

I roll out of bed and walk into the walk-in closet to get her and myself some clothes. I toss on simple black skinny jeans, a white t-shirt, a black bomber jacket, and black tennis shoes. For Sofia, I grab her a gray, lace bra and underwear set, a black crop top, black athletic sweatpants, and white tennis shoes. She smiles at me as I throw the clothes at her and pull my own on. 

I watch her body as she tosses the shirt overhead, trying to stop myself from losing absolutely all control over my own body. For the next few minutes, we finish getting ready, and I'm completely overwhelmed by everything about her. She's just way too beautiful for anyone's good. A walking vixen, I tell ya. Abbi pietà della mia anima. [Have mercy on my soul.] I thread her arm through mine, opening the bedroom door for us to head to my office.

"Where are we going?"

"We have work to do, amore. No matter how much I love having you here, I don't want you locked up for too long. I've got to be able to take you on another date."

A perfectly pink blush coats her cheeks, and I can't help but place a kiss against them. She giggles softly as I wrap my arm around her waist, not even hiding the fact that I'm definitely staking my claim. If anyone even looks at her the wrong way, breaths on her unrespectfully, I'm not afraid to do some bloody damage to the hardwood floors. 

She rests her hand timidly on my bicep as if she can feel the tenseness coming off me in waves. To distract myself from wanting to beat up members of my team for even looking at her, I explain the setup of headquarters. Only those who are part of our Mafia are supposed to know every inch of HQ, but I want this woman to be my wife. She deserves to know everything.

Once we reach my office, we separate, and she goes to sit in my chair. When Fiaro walks into the room to see her in my chair, he's instantly confused. I don't explain anything to him, dismissing him from the room entirely. I'm not very welcoming to those who even try to sit in my presence without asking permission first -- I'm kind of a control freak -- but with Sofia, it doesn't matter. She can do as she pleases, and I'm more than willing to follow her motions. 

Except for the fact that she wanted to use herself as bait for a person who's obsessed with her and will hurt anyone around them to get to her. I am not a big fan of that plan. I won't say it to her face because I'm in love with her, but that was a pretty dumb plan. I know she's a smart woman, but I don't think that in the particular moment she was being logical about the situation. I can understand that under the circumstances.

As she curiously looks through my desk drawers -- my snoopy girl -- I lean over her shoulders to open my computer. I cautiously hack into my mother's computer, something I hate to do but desperate times call for desperate measures. I make sure to leave no trace as I dig through her files to find the guestlist for the party two months ago. I know she has it because she never deletes anything. 

Usually, it's annoying, but in this case, it is the best possible way for us to see who might have been there. What we don't know is who said they would show up but never did. I might have to ask her and my father that question. I glance down at my girl to realize that her hands are on my gun. I take her hand away from the cold, black metal. She glances up at me and swiftly shifts her eyes back down to my desk.

"You're allowed to be curious, but I want you to be safe okay? Do you want me to teach you how to use one?"

"You would do that for me?"

"I will teach you anything you want to know. I would rather you not go around killing people or putting yourself in harm's way, but if you want to, I won't stop you. Just kill bad people."

"I won't go around killing people, but I think it would be cool to know."

"I have no idea how long the both of us will be here so sure. There isn't much to do around here anyway."

I kiss the top of her head before turning my attention back to my computer screen. I print the list of supposed attendees, and Sofia instantly grabs it from me. I rub her shoulders as she scans the list. Her eyebrows furrow as she flips page after page. She takes a pen to mark the guests she knows and met I'm guessing. 

An exasperated sigh comes out of her mouth as she flips to the last page. I press kisses along her shoulder, my hand reaching around to clasp her chin. I tilt her head back to brush my lips against hers while my hand travels down to grasp her neck. She rolls her eyes at me before turning her attention back to the final page.

"Sandro, I met this guy. I brushed against him, and we were talking before you arrived."

"Tatuini Americo d'Angelo?"

"Yeah, I thought he was a little creepy, but then you walked in. I totally forgot about him."

"Sofia..."

"What?"

"That's my older brother."