Waking the Power

Ben has spent the past two months observing Darius in how he both works as an agent and a rider.  In their job set Ben learns that Riders have an un-easy but mostly peaceful relationship with DEMONS.  In truth they have to let the Demons live and work among humans, and in some cases feed.  As it turns out their are too few Riders that exist to once again go to war with Demons as they had in the past, or the ANCIENT TIMES.  This is due to the fact an animal spirit is genuinely by default powered by nature which in many cases is a weakness.  Demons are powered by the energy of nature and life which can be stolen from other's.  Demons still life for humans, Spirits, nature, and life to do battle.  The worst parts humans have to be born with high levels of energy and a close connection to the earth itself for a spirit to even consider partnering with them, and the spirit beast, and human MUST HAVE matching spirits.  In many cases some families, or legacies passed on their spirit animals to other members of the families.  But this method crippled their ranks since only those who knew of the war between spirits Demons and humans worked hard to be worthy of a spirit beast.

Demons on the other hand were different they only needed to have a human with high concentrated natural or physical ability to become a demon.  That human would then be corrupted by the blood of their Progenator and drink from their blood.  This would pass on the Progenator's capability to the Progeny and over time from a few month's to even centuries depending on the Progeny's traits gain the Progenator's skills, and in some cases add to these abilities.  These abilities ranged from superhuman strength, speed, agility, growing claws and fangs, becoming transparent, using elemental abilities like fire, earth, water, and wind.  However humans that became demons were also corrupted this corruption would in many cases degrade their physical bodies.  This corruption would mutate in some cases, or in other's weaken them in sunlight since unlike most elemental abilities sunlight could only be used as an element by Spirits.  It was amazing for Ben to learn that Witches, Werewolves, Vampires, Gargoyles, Devils, were real.  Even more surprising the history of Demons and Spirits actually made sense.  

As an agent Ben is tasked with speaking with representatives of the Demon world who manage the peace, and keep the battles between Demons, Humans, and Spirits secret.  Demons usually stayed quiet mainly because despite their corrupted nature they also had to have balance.  Even though the planet was overflowing with humans, the blood of humanity had become stale.  This was due to the destruction of the environment, processing of natural food, chemicals, and pollution that humans were now born from.  This meant that out of every 10 humans that existed only 0ne or two had blood that could be used to enrich the power of a demon.  Blood was used by demons to increase their physical, and mystical abilities.  The purer the blood the stronger and longer the charge they would give to their demonic bodies.  Using mysticism was hard because even evil had to work in balance.  To summon the power of nature or darker energy their must be a sacrifice for that power to be granted, blood was the currency used.  Spirits on the other hand maintained the ability to capture or borrow energy not disperse energy and use it while fighting.  Once they were done fighting the energy was returned to the earth.  

As an agent Ben had learned the inner working of Demons, and their political heiarchy and make up.  All Demons were broken into clans, and each clan had their own symbol to which they were recognized.  Selected humans, as well as government, criminal, and political organizations had insight into the spirit, and demonic world as well.  To control the balance of outsiders in the demonic world a currency was developed.  Gold coins, Silver Coins, and Copper coins were made each minted with the symbol of certain clans to allow entrance into their world (similar to John Wick)  A coin used must be shown at the entrance if a coin had the symbol of the clan which owned that residence the coin holder was allowed entrance, but the copper coin did not give sanctuary unless the owner allowed it.  Which meant you can come in, but you might not be allowed to leave (at least alive)  Silver coins allowed entrance and sanctuary, meaning they could come in and not be harmed, however the length of time you were allowed to stay was limited 1 silver coin only gave you 24 hours of sanctuary once that day was up, so was any chance you had of leaving a live, unless granted protection by the owner.  A gold coin granted you entrance, sanctuary and a favor from the owner.  This favor could be money, information, or assistance.  In many cases if a person had coins from other houses they could be used at different clan dwellings if the owner thought they could be of use to them.  Also each guest entering that dwelling had to have a copper coin for entrance, a silver coin for protection.  Only a gold coin allowed protection and entrance for more than one guest, but the number of guest was controlled by the dwelling owner.