Part 12

Sonya and Harriet led us through a different tunnel that we hadn't seen before and called for the truck blocking it to move. There were about six men there, all with military trucks and uniforms. Harriet told them we were going to base, and I didn't get a sickening feeling about it like I had the other places. Although, that could be because I felt like I could pass out at any moment.

"Wait, how did you guys get here?" Aris asked.

"The Right Arm got us out," Harriet said casually.

"Wait, wait." Thomas jumped forward. "The Right Arm. Do you know where they are?"

Harriet smiled, opening the door of a truck for us. "Hop in." Half of us went in one truck, half in another, and we drove for ten minutes up the rest of the mountain. The place was a little dank, a little dirty, but it was a stepping stone up from every other place we'd been caught in thus far. "They've been planning this for over a year now. This is all for us."

The people here were laughing and behaving like normal people who weren't scared of the entire world. It was a beautiful thing to see, and I was just happy to have seen it before I had to die. I was happy this is where my friends would be without me.

"You guys are lucky you found us when you did," Sonya said. "We're moving out at first light. Where's Vince?"

"Somewhere over there, I think," a man with a gun said, waving to our right. He seemed friendly enough. Better than all the other guards I'd met.

"Who's Vince?" I asked, hoping not to sound as weak as I was. Whenever they left tomorrow, I would be staying here since I knew my time was quickly coming to an end and I refused to put my friends in danger.

"He's the one who decides if you get to stay," Harriet said with a kind smile. It was good to see her smile at me instead of yell.

"I thought the Right Arm was supposed to be an army," Minho said.

"Yeah, we were," another man said, walking out of a tent to meet us. "This is all that's left of us. Lot of good people died getting us this far. Who are they?"

"They're Immunes, Vince. Caught them coming up the mountain," Harriet said. I looked at the ground, thinking that I should never have come up here with them. I should've told everyone. I should've already put a bullet in my head.

"Did you check them?" he asked.

"I know this guy, Aris. I trust him," she said.

"Well, I don't. Check them."

Everything around me went a little blurry, then it all started to fade to black as my breaths turned into wheezes. "Thomas," I panted, and I fell to the ground, gasping for a breath I couldn't get.

Thomas shook me gently. "Y/N? Y/N!" He was on his knees, folding me into his arms as he caressed me against him. "Y/N, talk to me." Minho stood over him, his eyes wide and jumping about as his brain tried to understand what was happening.

"I told you," I wheezed. "You have to shoot me."

He shook his head, trying not to cry. "No one's shooting anyone."

"What's going on with her?" Vince asked, kneeling down next to Thomas.

"I don't know," he lied. His tears dropped onto my face as Vince pulled up my pant leg. At the sight of the bite, he jumped away from me like I had burned him.

"Crank! We got a crank!" He took out his gun, pointing it at me, and instantly everyone shouted no, pleaded for them to spare me as they formed a circle around me, Minho standing in the forefront of it as if protecting me was his only duty. Even Thomas held up a hand, screaming for them to stop.