Part 13

Thomas found his friends at the top of the rocks over looking the camp. Aris was talking with Harriet and Sonya by a bonfire, Teresa was no where he could see, and Brenda and Jorge were sitting together by a different fire to escape the high mountain chill, so that left Newt, Fry, and Minho for him to sit with.

"How is she?" Fry asked.

"She'll be fine for now," he said, sitting down on the rocks next to Newt.

"That what Mary said?"

Thomas debated with himself, knowing how much the guys cared for her, but in the end, he decided the truth was probably best. "Mary said she had to stay here."

"Woah, what?" Fry blurted, his brows pinched together.

"We're not leaving her behind," Minho said, and Newt shook his head in agreement.

"No, we're not. I'll figure something out," Thomas said. That seemed to put the boys at ease, if even just a little. Thomas had no idea how he was going to do that, but he had to. The thought of leaving Y/N behind made him nauseous, and he'd already cried too much lately. He didn't want another reason to cry.

"I wish Alby could've seen all this," Newt said, his eyes scanning the camp.

"And Winston," Fry added. There was a sad air around them at the memory of everyone who wasn't with them today.

"And Chuck," Thomas said, running the wooden carving in his hand. He'd touched it so much that it had become smooth from the oils on his fingers.

"He'd be proud of you, you know, Tommy," Newt told him, knowing the sadness Thomas felt every time he looked at the toy. Thomas just nodded. He didn't feel like there was any reason to be proud of him. Y/N was right, they killed almost everyone they were meant to save from the Glade. That didn't feel like a victory.

Fry looked down to Aris, whose smile hadn't left since he first started talking to those girls. Fry smiled and called, "Hey, Aris!"

Aris smiled up at him and waved. "Hey, guys."

Fry chuckled to himself. "I kinda like that kid."

Minho stared at Aris, his eyes squinted lightly. "Yeah... I still don't trust him, though." They shared a chuckle at his words and he smiled. Of course, he trusted the kid. How could he not after all they'd been through together? Minho's mind couldn't help but travel back to Y/N. She should be up here with them. He didn't want to blame anyone for her getting bit, but it seemed inevitable. Whatever had gone down with her, Thomas, and Brenda had him on edge. He knew he shouldn't have gone over the line without making sure Y/N was coming. She'd become one of his best friends and if something happened to her, he wasn't sure how he'd react. He felt guilty, knowing he should've stayed with her.

"Hey, where's Teresa?" Thomas asked, finally realizing that he couldn't see her anywhere. He noticed the tiny frowns that formed on their faces, but he didn't care. He knew how everyone felt about him and the two, they made it perfectly clear. They liked Teresa well enough, but they were all loyal to Y/N and Thomas could see why. He was thinking that's where he was headed as well.

"She went up there." Newt jerked his thumb over his shoulder. Teresa was standing on the edge of a cliff, staring out at the world. Thomas wondered what was wrong with her, so he climbed up to meet her.

Minho shook his head at Thomas' back. "That slinthead really doesn't get how lucky he is."

"Not at all," Fry muttered. Newt just looked back to Thomas and Teresa talking and shook his head.