Chapter 25: Pendragon's Wrath

Gwendolyn had gathered all of the knights as well as the willing wizards and druids who had agreed to assist us in taking back Avalon, and for some unknown reason little miss bleach blonde noble had decided to join the charge – apparently when she heard that her 'best friend' James was back in Avalon, she just had to help him – I tried to ignore how she was standing as if she truly belonged here practically stuck to James' side like an appendix, as Gwen nodded at me, indicating I should join her side at the front of the lines. I can't believe that James' didn't tell Kendra about us...

I shook my head, trying to force my draining thoughts out as I faced all of the brave soldiers...and Kendra, with a determined expression. Gwen was dressed in armor, looking like the warrior badass Queen she really is. She spoke, the fierce expression never leaving her face, her voice embedding me with the last bead of strength I needed to snap out of my ill-timed Kendra fueled anger.

"Today is the day we take back what has been taken from us." She paused making it a point to look every one of the warriors in the eye. "Today is the day we take back Avalon!" She turned to me, pride evident in her expression. "And it's all because of this brave young woman."

Her words spurred me into speaking.

"You're all here because you're tired of the injustice that has plagued your lives for the past decade." I paused. "Tired of the indignity and darkness that has befallen you." I raised my voice. "Well no more!"

A chorus of determined cheers rang out from the crowd. Gwendolyn spoke next.

"Princess Emily and I have devised a plan. We are going to storm the castle, and take the fight to the Wild Hunt." She then gestured at me. "While Princess Emily seizes the Sword of Kings. And goes after the Pendragon."

Aodh spoke up from his position on the front lines.

"On her own?"

Malorn, always the voice of stoic protesting spoke.

"Not alone."

Before I could say anything, James spoke up as well.

"We'll go with her."

Edward seeing the opportunity to both smooth things over – since I looked like I was going to burst a capillary – and protect me at the same time, chimed in, giving his two cents, ever diplomatically.

"Angel...we started this together." He turned to look at me, then Mal, then James, and Penny and Xena. All of us, making his point clear with the small gesture. "We'll end this together. All of us."

Gwendolyn turned to me, searching for any objections on my face. I nodded, letting her know it was okay, so she turned to the crowd, with a yell.

"Let's take back Avalon!"

War cries rang out from all around me, as the newly appointed soldiers marched towards Castle Avalon, while I teleported Mal, Ed, James, Xena, Penny and myself towards the secret entrance to the grand foyer, Mal turned to me with a knowing smile. I could immediately tell he was thinking of all the times we snuck out using this door. I smiled back at him, feeling the nostalgia crawling into my expression, before slowly opening the door, peeking my head through to check if the coast was clear. I nodded when I couldn't see any of the wild hunt goons, and snuck inside, with the others on my heels.

We traversed our way across the medley of secret tunnels inside Castle Avalon, making sure to stay as quiet as possible, until we made it to the entrance of the Keep of Ganelon, pushing the door – which blended in as part of the Keep's wall – slightly ajar, Malorn peeked his head through before pulling back in abruptly, pulling the door shut quietly with him. He sighed heavily, looking back at our questioning expressions he rolled his eyes.