Chapter 30: Azteca

I walked through the doors to reveal a large cobblestone area, with bright blue colored buildings, foliage and bushes all around us. The area felt like an Aztecain themed resort. I could feel my brain inscribe every detail into my subconscious, from the deep-green color of the leaves, to the ancient patterns on the buildings. I could hear Cyrus' uncharacteristically enamored voice sound out in awe.

"Incredible." 

"And to think, all of this was thought to be lost."

A humanoid version of a scarlet macaw parrot approached us, he was dressed in emerald-colored robes, and was donning what looked like a feathered headpiece or a crown. 

"Wizards! You got our plea for help!"

I nodded, deciding to take point.

"We're not entirely sure what we're helping with, since you guys are – you know – obviously still in existence and everything."

"By Mother moon. Xibalba, it is almost upon us."

I immediately recalled the distress note: Wizards of Bartleby, Azteca quivers in the shadow of Xibalba. Please come to our rescue!

"And Xibalba is?"

"A comet. It appeared in the sky ten cycles past, when it did the Aztecosaur Oracles pronounced our doom."

"Like Ragnarok?"

"What?"

I shook my head. As he continued.

"So they fled underground to live with the dead in the mines."

Cyrus finally spoke.

"If this happened before why do you think the comet will destroy you now?"

"The comet brought the shadow queen here. She has laid waste to my allies with her Umbra legion, not to mention that she woke the dead...and they were hungry. The end is nigh." He shook his head. As Cyrus and I exchanged uneasy glances. "I am Pacal Redmask. One of the three remaining Mystics of Azteca."

"Emily Emeraldgarden."

"Cyrus Drake."

"I wish we were meeting under better circumstances."

Cyrus looked sincere as he spoke.

"We'll stop the comet. You have our word."

I replied next, speaking venomously.

"And Morganthe."

"What do we know so far?"

"Morganthe is attempting to summon the Dark Moon Priestess to try to resurrect the Lords of Night."

Cyrus' expression grew dire.

"That...doesn't bode well."

I looked back at them in confusion. 

"Who are the Lords of Night?"

Pacal answered with an equally solemn expression.

"They are ancient beings that heard Bartleby sing the song of creation -- the song he used to weave the spiral into existence -- If Morganthe can resurrect them..."

"She could rewrite the spiral in her image."

"Yes. But she wasn't able to resurrect them on her own."

"Hence, summoning the Dark Moon Priestess." I paused, reaching a conclusion. "We need to hurry. Where is she now?"

"That I do not know, Young Wizard."