chapter 10; you're the one that i want

It was cold.

Like, crazy cold. Skin raising, teeth clattering, blue lips kind of cold. Mona felt like she was in some sort of frozen hell.

Regardless of the absolutely disgusting temperatures, she was at ease. She didn't think she'd be so happy to see the cabin again, and the sight of it coming up in the distance had her heart seizing up in her chest. A slew of memories were starting to come back from their time spent here last year, and she was excited to make some new ones.

Zayn borrowed his cousin's car again and their group ended up in the same arrangements from their Six Flags trip about two months ago. Louis and Cleo made nice additions to their group, and Mona wasn't even bothered that Niall and Cleo were giggling like schoolchildren in the backseat this time. Niall deserved someone who would make him happy, and because sometimes Mona feared that person wasn't going to be her, she was glad Cleo was there to make him laugh.

She was torn from her thoughts when Zayn pulled into the drive. There wasn't a lot of snow on the ground this time around, and Mona was glad for it. If there was anything worse than the bitterly cold winds then it was the icy hell called snow. Louis had stopped to buy gas a few miles back so he wasn't too far behind. In the meantime, she, Zayn, Niall, and Cleo took their time transporting the luggage and food supplies they'd brought along from the car to the cabin.

It was tedious work. Mona didn't realize just how much the little car could hold until she was making a third trip to haul one more bag. She made sure to click the doors locked with the key Zayn had tossed her, closing the door of the cabin behind her when she made her way inside to shut out the cold air that was pricking at her skin. She tossed the bag into the heap of luggage that someone had started near the entrance to the sitting room before moving to get the fire started. It was bitterly cold in the cabin and her fingers were beginning to go a bit numb, so it took a bit of fumbling before she had a cheery fire going. Zayn, Niall, and Cleo were busy stocking the shelves in the kitchen with whatever food supplies had come with them, so Mona resorted to picking her bags from the pile near the door and heading upstairs to choose a room at random.

She tossed the bags near the foot of the bed before shedding her coat and scarf in favor of spreading her bed and bundling up into a blanket cocoon when she was done. Her feet were impossibly cold, and she distantly thought of calling Niall up just so she can tangle her legs with his and leech onto some of his warmth. The expected afterthought that usually told her how stupid it was to wish for things like that never came, and Mona welcomed the silence in her brain for once.

The traveling had her limbs feeling heavy, exhaustion creeping into her bones and weighing them down into the mattress. It wasn't long until her eyes were fluttering shut against her pillows. Before they completely closed though, she caught the sight of something interesting sitting on the stand at the front of the room. She slowly realized that she'd unknowingly chosen the room with the television in it again, and she ended up falling asleep with a grin on her face, knowing that when she woke up from her short nap, the boys will be harassing her for a switch, and she'll never grant them the pleasure.

~

"I honestly cannot believe Mona got the room with the telly again," Harry grumbled, arms crossed over his chest and lips tugged down into a petulant frown as he and Zayn glared at her from the couch.

Zayn huffed in agreement, rolling his eyes when Mona let out an amused scoff. "I know," he all but snarled, angrily taking a bite out of his sandwich. "It's not fair."

Mona shrugged them off, grabbing a sandwich of her own from the platter sitting on the little coffee table and tearing it in half. "Life's not fair, my friends."