Chapter 62 : You're the best first lady

Sometime later, light filtered into the room and Melania turned her head to find barron slipping inside.

Quietly shutting the door behind him, crept towards the bed. "Hi mom," he breathed, getting on the bed, wrapping an arm around his mother's waist  pressing his cheek to Melania's back

She flinched at the touch, not from pain, though she would have welcomed the aching-but from the anticipation of it.

Misreading her reaction, Barron sniffed. "I'm sorry, mama... So, so sorry. I never.... You always protected me. I should have done a better job at protecting you. I'm sorry, I thought there horrible comments were stupid for you... I didn't know that it would affect you and hurt you like this... And as for Stephanie... I never liked her, but she was your only friend so I didn't want to be rude or something like that... But I should have said something or warn you..." He whispered thickly, and an aborted sob shook Melania's body causing Barron to press closer to her.

With an effort, She took one of her son's hands and kissed the back of it, pinning it to her chest afterwards. "It's not your fault, sweetheart." She managed, thinking of all the ways she could have prevented the events leading to what happened " Stephanie, she, she has special abilities when it comes to playing innocent... You couldn't have known that she was faking everything in our friendship... I should have." Before Barron could argue, Melania continued heavily, the pills threatening to pull her under before she finished. "In any case, I never should have tried to be a first lady; I shouldn't agree when your dad run for presidency... And... And I shouldn't trust Stephanie... I guess I should accept the fact that I'm not lucky when it comes to friends... "

And though she was doing her damnedest to keep the tears out of her voice, from the way Barron snuggled closer to her, Melania knew she'd failed in that as well.

" Ljubim te, mama..." ( I love you mom ) Barron declared, curling around Melania completely, wrapping his arms around her protectively

Taking an uneven breath, Melania kissed her son's hand once more. "I love you too, darling." She replied before letting the pills drag her from consciousness.

                       ---------------------

It was 1 am, when Donald Finally made it to their residency, Melania probably still upset, Thank God, Amalia agreed to stay with her...  He thought

A light on in the kitchen drew him in like a moth, and he half expected to find Melania passed out at the table, a decanter of whiskey in front of her,

To his immense surprise though, it was Amalia who was at the table drinking. Furrowing his brow, Donald looked around for Melania and didn't see her, the rest of the first floor dark. "Where is she?"

" The Bedroom..."

Panic flashed through him, as did images of the various scars on Melania's wrists on the other day. "You left her alone?!" He speared a hand through his hair, alreadnning to run up to the bedroom.

" Oh my god ! Amalia she might have-" he started worriedly

" She did... "

The words froze him at his place. " She What !? "

Lifting a brow, Amalia took a second glass and nodded at the chair across from her as she poured another serving of whiskey. " Unfortunately..." She retorted, tone clipped, and Donald could see the exhaustion weighing on her...