Chapter 1 - Memories

You kept your eyes on the ground on your way to the great hall for breakfast with Hermione, Lavender and Pavarti. Trailing after the group was Finn, Cedrics dog. You still weren't sure what to do with him. They had spent the previous night trying to comfort you in their dorm. You avoided your own dorm like the plague, you couldn't bear to hear what Pansy and her idiotic friends were saying about Cedric. You certainly didn't have the energy to do anything about it. They were vile. And you had bigger priorities.

You were already sick of the pitiful looks everyone was giving you. They could see your red puffy eyes and mascara streaming down your cheeks and there was no doubt that the most talked about person in the castle right now was Cedric. People were already acting like they had known him so well, and this was such a tragic loss for them. Coming to you to offer sympathies that gave you no relief, you knew you shouldn't be angry at them but you couldn't help it. You were disgusted by their pity and falsehood. Ugh. The theatrics. You thought, disgusted. Finn and Draco were the only ones who didn't look at you like you were about to snap.

"Hermione, did you get those vials? I need them by Monday when I get back." You remembered your plan. You were intent on sticking to it.

"Yes I have plenty, you still haven't told me what for." She was hoping you'd tell her, but if you did she might try and talk you out of it.

Draco interrupted and chastised you endlessly about bringing Finn around everywhere and being seen with your trio of gryffindors. Well at least he wasn't treating you like the delicate glass doll that everyone else was. He firmly took your wrist in his hand and pulled you to the slytherin table where Finn happily trotted behind you.

"What? Oh no, I don't think so, the mutt stays! Leave him with Granger or Hagrid!" He pleaded with you. You stubbornly ignored him, picking at your ham and eggs until his whining became unbearable.

"Finn and Crookshanks don't get along so I can't leave him with Hermione. And Hagrids gone to some sort of Dragon Convention in Scotland." You admitted. He raised his eyebrows curiously

"A dragon convention? That crazy oaf, what is he planning on doing there?" He pondered.

"I think the first task of the tournament has him feeling ... inspired." You drawled out the end of your sentence lethargically. Remembering how Cedric had used his transfiguration talents to dazzle the crowd and distract the dragon. But at the last moment the Swedish Short Snout had noticed him and changed the direction of its attack. Burning Cedrics beautiful porcelain face.

———————————————-

Draco had insisted on using the fireplace in Moody... well Crouches office. Apparently one of the dark lords' minions had managed to get past all of Dumbledore's security measures with a simple poly juice potion. Foolish old man. It's almost like he was trying to get Harry killed.

The smell of old furniture and fresh wood was the first thing you recognized as you stepped out from under the massive black mantle piece, Draco and Finn at your heels. As your eyes adjusted and you dusted the floo powder off your robes, you saw the grey dull light from outside leaking through the grand windows adorned with heavy black and grey velvet curtains. The intricate architecture had to be centuries old and you thought it a shame such a beautiful old building was lurking in the most unpleasant of countrysides. So empty and cold. It was the last place you wanted to be right now.

Finn stood out like a sore thumb. This certainly wasn't a home that was accustomed to having pets. The barn contained a variety of Abraxans and Granians, a small trio of Crups that Lucius only used for hunting and at least half a dozen kneazles that roamed the property to catch mice and puffskeins. All of these animals had jobs on the estate but Finn was far from a working dog. With his goofy mannerisms and big clumsy paws, you were sure you'd have to beg Lucius not to send him away. Maybe he would at least let him stay in the barn with the crups.