Chapter 38

Immediately, the long white silk band slit the corpse's throat, the corpse fell to the ground with a big THUD. Yu Lin and Feng Li quickly ran over. Jin Ling's long silk rope quickly flew back into his wrist.

"Wow, that was cool. How do you make that band obey you?" Hua Hua asked, regaining his smile.

"Ahaha, I'm not too sure either. It just kinda... does." Jin Ling explained, scratching the bridge of his nose.

"Don't you have diminished spiritual powers?" Yu Lin asked.

"Diminished doesn't mean I have none. Exceptions exist." Jin Ling replied.

"The Compass of Evil won't be able to sustain for long without constant spiritual energy transfer. We should collect this resentful energy so it's more precise." Feng Li suggested.

"Good idea." Jin Ling commented. "Does anyone have a *Spirit-Trapping Pouch?"

The four awkwardly looked at each other. "C'mon! You guys seriously didn't bring one?" Jin Ling complained.

"Ahem. I have one here." Yu Lin said, taking it from his sleeve and passing it to Jin Ling.

Jin Ling quickly grabbed it and summoned it. He closed his eyes, and pointed two fingers towards the sky. The pouch floating in the air and quickly collected all of the resentful energy in the corpse. After a while, Jin Ling opened his eyes and grabbed the pouch. The corpse was no more, with it's lifeline sucked into the Spirit-Trapping Pouch.

"We'll be able to sense any other corpses with similar properties as the one we just killed." Jin Ling explained.

Jin Ling held the pouch up and waited for it to react. At first, the pouch did nothing, but over time it started to vibrate slightly and glow. The pouch was informing Jin Ling where there were any similar resentful spirits close by. After a while, the pouch stopped vibrating and glowing.

"What did it say?" Feng Li asked.

"It said... just ahead of you." Jin Ling replied, looking straight into the dark forest.

Immediately, both Feng Li and Yu Lin unsheathed their swords. They were back-to-back, and started scanning their surroundings, but the thick vegetation and dark night made it hard for them to see.

"I don't see anything." Feng Li commented.

"Of course you don't. Wasn't your general bad at looking for things for Sect Leader Jin?" Yu Lin replied.

"Huh, wasn't it your general who vowed to protect Sect Leader Jin, but still abandoned him in the end." Feng Li replied.

"So what? Didn't your general also leave anyways?" Yu Lin replied.

"Hey, will you shut it?!" Feng Li replied.

"Who told you that you could tell me to shut up?" Yu Lin replied.

The argument only started to escalate more. Jin Ling smacked his forehead in disappointment. Hua Hua smirked in the background. However, Feng Li suddenly said something that surprised Jin Ling.

"Chen Ye! You really think just because you ascended first, you're better?" Feng Li yelled.

"Yes," Yu Lin replied. "do you have the power to ascend first? If you can't, then shut up!"

"You!" Feng Li yelled.

Suddenly, there was a moan. Then, one footstep, two footsteps. The footsteps seemed to get louder and louder. Soon, another fierce corpse emerged from the bushes and attacked Jin Ling. Both Yu Lin and Feng Li were so occupied arguing, they didn't even notice the fierce corpse. It was up to Jin Ling again. Jin Ling unsheathed Suihua and easily killed the fierce corpse. Even after Jin Ling killed the corpse, Yu Lin and Feng Li were still arguing.

"Are you two done yet?" Jin Ling said, calmly, "Chen Ye and Zou Fang?"

Yu Lin and Feng Li were silent.

*Spirit-Trapping Pouch = a bag capable of holding spiritual matter like spirits or souls.