Poetic Licence

Entry by InnerFyre 

Winning entry of the Valentine's Day Contest.

The smell of bacon permeated the air as I turned each rasher over in the pan.

It was a lazy Sunday morning, and I was humming happily as I cooked a late breakfast for my parents and older brother.

I liked to cook; I found it relaxing. I added the eggs and waited for a minute or two for them to cook before calling my family to the dining table to eat.

"It's snowing again," I noted, nodding towards the window as I loaded four plates with food.

Snow wasn't unusual in my little Scottish village in February, but today it looked extra pretty as it fell in thick, powdery flakes, leaving a blanket of white over the nearby houses and gardens. I watched it fluttering around in the breeze as I ate.

My attention was drawn away from the picturesque scene by the sound of my phone buzzing with a text message. Without pausing to think, I pulled it out to see who it was.

Unknown number:

I'd love to meet you at midday,

Where musicians like to play.

That seemed a bit random.

Me:

I think you must have the wrong number.

After typing the quick response, I put my phone away, just in time to realise it was rude to have brought it out while my family and I were eating breakfast together.

"Sorry," I apologised. "Wrong number."

"It's fine," smiled my mother.

She'd normally be annoyed if I got my phone out at the table.

Maybe I'd been forgiven quickly because I'd apologised before she'd had a chance to reprimand me for it.

We finished breakfast and I started washing up when my phone buzzed again.

Unknown number:

Steve, the number isn't wrong,

I know to whom the phone belongs.

What day is it? Just have a think,

Anonymous texts? Now make the link.

'What day is it?'

What was that supposed to mean? It was Sunday. So what?

I checked the date on my phone. One flash of my screen told me it was the fourteenth.

As my brain started to engage, I slowly realised why the date was significant.

It occurred to me that this person might be missing some crucial information. It seemed only fair to let them know.

Me:

OK, so it's Valentine's Day. But I should let you know I'm gay.

Unknown number:

I know. I'm a feasible contender,

You should be happy with my gender.

So, the mystery poet was another guy? Interesting.

Me:

I can't just meet up with someone I don't know.

Unknown number:

Glad you appreciate the danger,

Of meeting alone with a stranger.

It's prudent to assume the worst,

So, I cleared it with your parents first.

Oh, my life! My parents were involved?

A shiver crawled down my back and the tips of my ears heated up. Perhaps that's why my mother hadn't been as annoyed as usual about my phone at breakfast today.

"Ma!" I called as I walked into the lounge.

I might as well get this over with.

"Steve," she grinned back when she saw me with the phone.

It was already clear from that smile that she knew something. A short conversation with her confirmed that she knew who was texting me, and that it would indeed be completely safe for me to go out and meet him.

In fact, she was actively encouraging it.

Butterflies started flying in the pit of my tummy as I fumbled a response to my secret admirer.

Me:

So, you're asking me to meet you at the bandstand in the park?

Unknown number:

Yes, you got the right location,

Hope you'll accept my invitation?

I looked at the clock. It was 11.45am. The park wasn't far from my house, but I'd have to leave very shortly to make it to the bandstand by midday.

Nerves were building inside me as I tried to make a decision.

The buzzing of my phone interrupted my thoughts.

Unknown number:

Should I stay, or should I go?

It's freezing here, please let me know.

He was already there?

I tried to swallow my growing anxiety. Did I want to go?

Making my decision, I texted back with my first deliberate attempt at matching his poetic skills.

Me:

You're the one who chose to meet outside!

But yeah, I'll join you for the ride.

I pulled on my winter layers and stepped out into the frosty air.

Snow fell like cotton wool around my ears as I pulled my scarf tighter around me, and my feet crunched all the way to the bandstand in the nearby park.

My heart skipped a beat when, to my surprise, I found my older brother's friend Vincent sheltering in the centre of it, rubbing his hands together and blowing on them. We'd spoken briefly a couple of times in the past, so I knew he was easy-going and incredibly likeable.

If he was my Valentine, I'd be very happy indeed.

I ventured up to him and looked into his stunning chocolate brown eyes framed with dark lashes.

"Have you been texting me?" I asked, smiling.

"Yeah," and I could see his breath in the air as he replied. "Because I'd like to take you out for a hot chocolate today. As my date. If you want to."

"I want to," I grinned. "But I didn't know you liked guys?"

"Well, now you do," he smiled widely. "I'm glad you came."

"Me too," I replied. "What's with all the poems?"

"A lot of the time, my head thinks in rhyme," he shrugged.

"You're doing it again."

"I am," he laughed. "I guess it's in my nature."

He took my gloved hand and we started crunching through the thick snow towards the park's café.

I smiled to myself.

We were going on our first date. I was thrilled and couldn't wait.

Maybe Vincent's love of poetry was rubbing off on me already.

And that was absolutely fine with me.