Of Love and Belonging

Entry by GandalfofspaceAnli

~ Winning Entry of "Bite-sized Love Buffet" Contest ~

"First impressions are everything, Ah-Xian." Yanli, Wei Ying's adoptive elder sister stated, trying to fix her brother's unruly hair. "You are representing The Lotus Cove. Be on your best behavior, and steer clear of the second master Lan. The Cloud Reassess people are rule abiding. I don't want you to get thrown out of the running even before our fragrance has a chance to win hearts."

"I know. I know." Wei Ying, the flirt-by-birth, rolled his eyes and pulled out his piccolo; twirling it between his fingers he spoke with a twinkle in his almond eyes, "The lotus essence will find a permanent home in the Lan's catalogue, my dear sister. I promise."

An hour later, holding a sample of The Lotus Cove's signature perfume in one and his invitation card in another, the young man entered the Cloud Reassess: the Lan's family estate's main manor, where the event to hunt for the next best fragrance was being held.

An hour after submitting The Lotus Cove's signature fragrance: Lotus Essence, in 'The Hunt for the Fragrance Of Tomorrow' Wei Ying joined the other guests. But soon, the fake talks and faker smiles of the ones present there got to Wei Ying, who decided to venture into the lush estate gardens where his feet led him to a lotus pond in full bloom in the middle of the estate.

"This feels like home." He breathed, and seating himself next to the pond, after ridding himself of his shoes, socks, dress suit and vest, he started playing a soft melodious tune on his piccolo.

The song of love and belonging he called it. Though unfinished, it was his favorite.

A rustle of clothes made him stop and turn.

"What is it called?" The man with lightest eyes Wei Ying had ever seen, asked emotionlessly.

The newcomer looked like a jade statue carved by the Gods. Flawless. Cold.

Wei Ying's heart skipped a beat. "The song of love and belonging."

The flicker of curiosity fluttered over the jade's expressionless countenance.

"It's unfinished, but something tells me that if I put my lips where they belong, I will be able to finish it now."

The light-eyed man huffed, and looked away, disinterested. However, the tips of his now scarlet ears gave him away.

Wei Ying chuckled. "Would you like to see me play?"

The light orbs narrowed, "No. Not interested."

"Sure you are. Sometimes lips lie, but eyes... they always speak the truth. And yours look more than interested."

Then, without waiting for a reply, Wei Ying started playing. This time however, he didn't stop till the melody was whole.

When Wei Ying opened his eyes next he felt complete; he saw the same feeling reflected in the light eyes of the latter.

That evening, two winners emerged from The Lotus Cove as Lotus Essence won the hunt, and Wei Ying melted and captured the second master Lan's stone-cold heart.