Chapter 3: Your Other Half You Never Knew Was Missing

After two, draining, long weeks spent in painful classes and fatiguing shifts, I finally found some spare time to come back to the woods and visit my werewolf friend. As promised, I told Taecyeon about my work, some funny anecdotal events that recently occurred, and what life was like beyond the woods. I found saying goodbye to be harder than the first time around after spending an entire weekend in his company.

Because of all the studying and exams that took up most of my time, I wasn't able to come back for another visit until a whole month later. The distance probably would have been a little easier to deal with if only Taecyeon and I had a way to communicate. Unfortunately, the protective wards around his forest have to be secure to prevent invaders from coming in, so I couldn't risk compromising his safety by giving him a direct link to the outside world.

When I came back for a visit, Taecyeon gave me a tour of the entirety forest and introduced me to his six wolf friends. The meadow, though, was my favorite part- aside from his mansion, of course. Numerous vibrant plants that I never knew existed made the meadow look like a place straight out of a fairytale, and it became our special place. It felt good to know that the two of us had a special place, away from all the buzz and noise of the rest of the world, to call our own.
**********

The sky was clear, and it was one of those rare sunny days in Taecyeon's usually cloudy woods. To not take advantage of the fantastic weather that paid a rare visit to the magical forest would be a waste. Hence, I used every ounce of persuasion I had to convince Taecyeon to accompany me to a picnic you spontaneously planned.

His lame excuse was, "why would we need to eat outside when there's a huge kitchen right here? I can't have those little mutts knowing how well I feed you, or else they're gonna accuse me of playing favorites-which I am, but they don't need to know that."

At which point, I responded with, "I barely come here, and I never know when I'll have the time again, so pretty please?"

In the end, he gave in and humored me anyway. I even pushed it a tad further by having him help me prepare the food you wanted to bring and telling him that a shared experience makes it more memorable. Although he insisted that picnics were pointless and childish, he still wound up having fun and admitted as much.

"Taecyeon?"

"Hmm?"

"You never told me how you ended up here by yourself," you stated with curiosity.

Taecyeon visibly stiffened at what I brought up. I could tell that he purposely avoided the subject, and I figured that it was probably better for me to not have brought it up in the first place.

"You don't have to tell me anything if you don't want to," I told him honestly.

He shook his head and smiled. "No. It's okay."

"I'm sorry," I softly said.

"No, don't be," he reassured me. Then he added with a thoughtful gaze, "Would you really like to know?"

I simply nodded in response.

Taecyeon was silent for a moment, and I patiently waited. "I used to be a member of a pack once," he slowly began. "Our alpha was strong and wise. He was so great that other packs near our area knew of or have, have at least, heard of him. He was a sympathetic leader, an extraordinary warrior, and an excellent scholar. He was as well rounded as he was friendly. I was his best friend and his beta, and he made sure to listen to my suggestions and applied them to his leadership. We led our pack together and made sure  everyone in every rank was treated fairly. Because he was so loved by so many, everyone who knew him wished him the best. Then one day, he found his mate." Taecyeon stopped for a few seconds.