Six

Image || Peter Forster on UnSplash

《 him 》

Like millions of surgical needles entering his skin one at a time, the feeling overtook everything else. He saw red. In the most painful, anger-searing way—he saw red. And as he did, Hunter began to feel more and more awake, as if he could not sleep anymore if he were dead. At the same time, he felt Anna's panic.

The same feeling went on for a few more minutes before Anna had to give in. His consciousness came back to him, overwhelming him like floodgates that had been broken. He sat up immediately.

Anna's voice was raspy and filled with a certain kind of fear, "Hunter?"

Hunter felt no need to explain himself and immediately rose to leave. Despite Anna's reluctant protests, he made it through the doors of the chamber. Pierce was in the hallway before Hunter could reach his bedroom doors. He stopped as he saw Hunter coming, surprised he said, "You finished in three days? I'm impressed."

Hunter entered his room without a word, and began to change into appropriate clothing. Pierce stood at the door, his hand loosely balancing his laptop, and watched on with curiosity. Hunter paid him no mind, packing a small backpack in tow.

Once he turned around to leave, however, Pierce had no intention of allowing him to do so. Pierce put his hand across Hunter's chest and held his shoulder.

"You're enraged."

Hunter did not reply.

"It didn't go well at all," Pierce frowned, "Why now?"

"Let me through."

Pierce's arm dropped. Hunter had used his domination on him, and his voice was even laced with primal intent. Hearing himself for the first time since waking, Hunter was doubtful of his intentions should he find something he didn't like.

Pierce looked as if he wanted to say something, but couldn't. It was too soon after Hunter's command for his wolf to allow him to talk back. And Hunter took this opportunity to walk out the door and have a car brought to take him back to the city.

»

His first stop was Maeya's house, but she wasn't home. The trip wasn't hopeless, however, instead he took the opportunity to pinpoint her scent and follow it to her location. Once he reached the last outdoor spot he could sense her scent, he saw a few people being ushered into a bar called 'Eshay's'. Hunter took a moment to breathe before walking to the entrance, compelling the bouncer to let him in, and winding down the hall to the opening of the club.

Hunter figured she was fond of the song that played, as she and her friends were immersed in dancing to it. He was relieved to find she had gone out with friends, but knew there was a hunt to be had. He continued to seek out her scent, which conveniently led him to a table seating men a few metres from the dance floor.

Hunter suppressed a growl.

"Hey man," one of the less impressive of the bunch spoke first, "Can we help you?"

At that moment, Hunter was able to pinpoint the sorry fool who had her scent all over him. "You."

"Damn, Eli," one of them scoffed, "You're in demand."

"Hardly," Hunter remarked. He nodded in an opposing direction, "Let's chat."

»

Hunter took a seat at the bar, while Eli—still within Hunter's line of sight—shook his head and sat at his table once again. His friends were quick to prod, but the man kept his lips sealed. Satisfied with this, Hunter turned away to order a drink.