9

From the moment you wake up Agnes is on your mind.
As you pull a light coloured shirt over your head Agnes is on your mind.
As she is when you pull on your jeans and tuck your shirt into them.

You curl your hair, trying to distract yourself from Agnes, but it just doesn't seem to work.

No matter what you do for the entire morning, eating, cleaning, even watching the TV, Agnes just doesn't leave your mind.

You know you should tell her how you feel, but what if it ruins your friendship?
What if it doesn't?

After spending an entire morning with Agnes on your mind you next procrastinate telling her all afternoon.
There are good scenarios, and there are bad scenarios.

Sure, telling Agnes how you feel could potentially spark some romance.
But it could also completely ruin your friendship.
If it does neither you would have to live with your feelings being one sided, and who wants that?

Not you, that's for sure.

You stand from your position seated on the sofa, walking over to the door.
This is the fourth time you have done this.
The afternoon has passed quickly, full of procrastination.

Your hand touches the cold metal of the handle, but it doesn't push down.
Your head fills with doubt.
Slowly you pull your hand away, you can't.

Or can you?
You put your hand back, pushing down and allowing the door to open in front of you.
You slip on your shoes.
You want Agnes to know.

The door swings closed as you make your way up the path and to the pavement.
You check the road before crossing the street, your heart beating louder with every step you take.

Your mind is still filled with doubt, but you push on, getting closer and closer to Agnes' front door.

Suddenly you're there.
Without thinking you knock, not giving yourself time to cower.
You wait patiently, feeling dizzy and almost sick.

But the door never opens.
You try knocking once more, just in case she didn't hear you.
Again, nothing.

With a defeated sigh you turn around, you keep your head down as you cross the street, not that there is anyone around to see you.

Agnes simply isn't in, either that or she didn't want to answer the door.
You don't even look over your shoulder as you get to your house, simply walking in and closing the door behind you.
You don't want to think about what just happened.

Once you've kicked off your shoes you draw the curtain.
The sun has only just begun to set, sure, you just don't want to think about the outside world right now.

You sit on the sofa, in the exact spot you had while procrastinating.
This time your head isn't swimming. It's quite empty.

For some time you sit there just staring at the wall, the occasional thought making a quick round in your head, but for the most part you just stare.

You feel defeated, your entire morning and afternoon were spent building up the courage to go knock on that door.. only for no one to answer.

The room turns dark as sun sets outside, but you don't turn on any lights.
You don't want to.
Maybe you'll press the switch and it just won't come on.
You don't want to chance disappointment again.

The darkness is peaceful, quiet.
Although everything in Westview is quiet.
That hasn't changed.

The door knocks, but you make no effort to get up.
Your house is dark, curtains closed, maybe they'll just assume you have gone to sleep.

A few minutes pass in silence, but the door knocks again.
This time you push yourself up, turning on the lamp at the side of the couch.

You walk over to the door, opening it to find Wanda standing there.
"Wanda, I'm sorry I didn't answer sooner. I must have drifted off to sleep." You lie.

"Don't you worry about it, I've barely been stoods here a minute. I just came to bring you this, a thank you for the blanket." She hands you a small box.

"Thank you, Wanda." You smile.
"Thank you for the blanket, I'll see you around, Y/n." Wanda smiles, walking back towards her own house, giving a small wave as she does.

You wave back and close the door, your interactions with Wanda always seem so strange.
You place the box on the coffee table, opening it to find three cupcakes, all decorated with red buttercream.

You pick one up, deciding to have a cheeky snack before bed.
As you do you think back to what Wanda said, she had barely been stood there a minute.

She must have been there for longer, for at least five minutes, if not closer to ten.
The door knocked twice.

Unless the first time it wasn't Wanda who came knocking.
Who else could it have been?

You don't really know anyone for someone to have spontaneously dropped by, and this late at night there really isn't anyone about.

Except maybe Agnes.

Your heart sinks realising it must have been Agnes the first time.
You missed your chance not once, but twice today.
If only you had answered the door.

You feel so angry at yourself, so disappointed that you didn't just get up and open the door.
It wouldn't have been hard to do it the first time, you managed the second.

You throw the cupcake wrapper in the bin, heading upstairs.
At this point all you want to do is sleep.
In your sleep you don't have to have all of these thoughts on your mind.

You don't have to think about the events of today.
How if you had just gotten up and answered the door you would have been able to tell Agnes how you feel.

"Tomorrow, I will tell her." You tell yourself in the mirror.
You make that promise to yourself.

Even if it means you have to wait outside of her house all day, you will tell Agnes.