Chapter 12 | Birthday Chalk

December 2nd was a Sunday, and it was also Winter's birthday.

While Rose had prepared a celebratory breakfast and the two attended a matinee screening of Pulp Fiction (as one does on their birthday), the day was long from over. Still, Winter managed to squeeze in a visit to the climbing gym, reserving some alone time for just herself, a chalk bag, and some plaster grips.

As she was being rung up for her chalk rental by Pete, Murdoch popped his head through the door of the nearby equipment room.

"Don't charge her," he said to Pete.

"W-what?" Pete stuttered, spooked by his grandson's sudden appearance. He adjusted his oval spectacles on his face, which had been strewn from the shock.

Murdoch walked out and put a gentle hand on Pete's back. "It's her birthday today." He gave the birthday girl a sly smile then.

Winter tilted her head, eyes wide with disbelief and mild irritation at Murdoch's scheme. So much for obligations.

Winter braced for Pete's inevitable congratulations and impromptu gift offerings. Pete had given her enough of his freebies and "next times," though. It pained her to even think of receiving more from him, but she knew she was no match for Pete's stubbornness and charm.

"Oh!" exclaimed Pete. He clapped once and smiled brightly. "Well then, we can't have the birthday girl paying for no chalk! In fact..." he turned to a small display of chalk bags and other small-scale climbing paraphernalia. "Here! Choose one you like." He motioned to the chalk bags.

"Oh, no, not unless you let me pay for it."

"Nonsense!" he hollered. "This is a birthday chalk bag. It's free. I insist."

Winter covered her smile and blushed shamefully, now having earned the attention of nearby gym goers, their snickers and giggling too apparent to ignore.

"Okay," she gave in and pointed to her choice. "The yellow and blue one, then."

Pete's eyes lit up. "Good choice!" He took it down and cut off the tags for her. While he filled it with chalk, Murdoch hung back by the doorway to the equipment room with a triumphant smirk.

Winter eyed him scornfully and he slipped away back to whatever work he was doing in there. From the happy birthday text she received from Rick, she assumed news traveled down the grapevine from him. He'd have to get a scolding for this.

"There 'ya go. All's good," Pete said, handing the bag to her. "Happy birthday, dearest."

"Thank you, Pete. You shouldn't, though."

"Oh, but I want to," he assured with a wise finger propped up to accent his point.

Winter excused herself and began climbing. She did her usual rounds and then some before Luke showed up to pick her up at the scheduled time. He came inside to get her personally by the time she saw his texts on her phone.

"Hey sorry, I lost track of time and didn't check my phone for a bit," she apologized sheepishly.

"No worries," Luke said, hands in his back pockets as he rolled back and forth on the balls of his feet. "Good to go?" he asked once Winter collected her things.

"Yep."

They made for the exit, waving goodbye to Pete and Murdoch on the way.

"Going to party?" asked Pete.

"Just a little," answered Luke, gesturing a with his thumb and forefinger.

Pete chuckled. "Well keep that one safe! You won't want to be on her aunt's bad side. Trust me, I know." He said over a small group of people heading to the register where Murdoch was stationed.