Chapter 16 | Rift

Today would mark the second time that Rose and Winter attended a formal dinner at the Hayes' house--however, this time, with the addition of one more.

John Moore had arrived in Sharpton three days ago, on December 21st, with gifts galore and hugs reserved for his two favorite girls on the planet. 

Pete and Babs were beyond themselves with his company. Not only had he ignited in them a nostalgic air that reminded them of their beloved son, but John Moore was not a man lacking in charm.

"Babs, I see you haven't changed, neither in beauty or prowess in the kitchen. The ham is absolutely delicious."  He leaned forward and expertly mirrored Babs' motions as he flattered her.

"Oh shush, you. You were always a sweet talker but it seems time's only mulled your tongue sweeter," she said as she elegantly cut into her slice of ham.

"A real bootlicker ya're now, ain't he?" Pete said to John, then to Babs. He laughed wheezily.

John chuckled, the warm vibrato of his tone barreling through his chest in a way that felt new to Winter. It was almost as if Germany had changed him in profound ways, but it hadn't yet been 4 months since he left the continent.

He seemed to have aged some, Winter realized. His crow's feet had receded further,  handsomely framing his bright blue eyes when he smiled. His nose seemed bigger and straighter than Winter remembered, and with him by her side now, she could make out some patches of gray in his stubble that had not been apparent before he left. Winter tried not to dwell too long on the all the unexpected nuances of her father's appearance.

The dinner was pleasant. Babs made good work of the food and Pete contributed his family recipe of baked beans that he loved so much. As he swallowed a forkful of them, he turned to Winter.

"Winter, I reckon you'd be interested in some loose change?"

Winter wiped her mouth and quirked her head forward in questioning. "Pardon?"

"Well I might be looking for an extra hand at the gym is all, and I'd be pleased to hire ya on. It'll be getting busy soon, what with all the new year's resolutions and such."

Winter's gaze flitted to Murdoch, who was decidedly more interested in his plate than he was the conversation.

"I think that'd be a great idea. Good way to wet your feet and learn the value of money; build up a healthy work ethic," John said as he wiped his mouth clean of wine residue.

Winter nodded helplessly. Truthfully, she wouldn't mind the experience. She'd done ample amounts of volunteer work and extra curriculars, but never had a job. She never really needed one with her dad's pocket, but she reasoned she'd like the independence of making her own money.

Though, she was wary of working with Murdoch, even if they'd gotten over their initial distaste for one another.

"I'd really like that," she decided after some thought. 

"As long as it doesn't get in the way of your school work," John cautioned.

Pete was beyond pleased with her reply, his rosy cheeks plumping from his wide smile. "Of course," he agreed.

Winter's father took this as the perfect point to segue into a boastful and embarrassing talk about Winter's academic prospects. It started with her achievements at Sierra and shifted to her current endeavors, and of course eventually ended with her plans for the future.

"Oho, Stanford, eh?" wondered Pete.

Winter lost her appetite suddenly. Then, in what seemed like the first time during the entire meal, Murdoch spoke.