rainy day (William Gold/Wilbur Soot)

TW // STORMS

An awful thunder storm was passing over my house at around nine pm that night, and it was completely dark out. There were flood warnings all across the area, along with the usual warnings not to drive through water all across the news. The rain slapped against the sides of the house every once in a while, hitting the windows like needles.

I had just finished moving into a new house, and luckily my friend Wil had been able to help me get all the boxes inside before it started pouring. He had been over for most of the day helping me unpack from my move and keeping me company, but now he couldn't go home because of the heavy rain. We were sitting in the floor of my living room, in the middle of a very intense Mario kart match, when the power went out and the screen glitched for a moment before it clicked off.

"Oh, fuck off!" I yelled, dropping the remote and pulling my sleeves over my wrists. "I was winning too."

Wil laughed and I turned to him offendedly. "You were nowhere near me," he claimed, pointing his controller at me. "And I was in first place."

I laughed back as I shoved his shoulder with my sweater paw and stood up. "In your dreams." Wil followed me upstairs and into my bedroom to help me look for candles. "What scent do we want?" I asked him, offering a few options.

"Hmm, let's go with that one," he said, pointing at a vanilla scented one.

"Wow, that one's my favourite!" I said, searching my bedside table for a lighter. "How did you know?"

"You like all things vanilla. Well, almost all things. Coffee, perfumes, ice cream." He shrugged as he helped me search the room. "That's why I picked it out, silly," he insisted, coming up behind me and flicking the bill of my cap so that it fell into my eyes.

I held back a chuckle and fixed it as I grabbed a package of tea lights as well. "Yeah, you picked one that I liked because I don't have any that are manly enough for you to like huh?" I found a lighter and clicked it a few times to make sure it worked.

Wil straightened his back from his hunched over position and looked at me with his hands propped up on his hips. I could barely see him across the room except for his face and hands because of his black clothes. "Woah now, you think I'm that fragile?" He asked. "And I'll have you know that vanilla is very masculine."

"Come on, I'm just busting your balls, bruv," I replied, lighting the three wicks of the candle and cupping in my open palm. "What should we do now?"

We walked out of my bedroom and back into the couch in the living room. I sat the candle, the unlit tea lights and my pin-filled cap down on the coffee table. I leaned into Wil's side as he put his arm around me. "I dunno, whatever you want I guess."

My eyes fluttered shut as I sank against Wil and kicked up my legs on the cushion beside me. "Let's stay here for a moment," I requested, pressing my ear to his chest with a big, stupid smile on my face.

His deep hum of agreement made me giggle as it vibrated the side of my face. The outside noise started to calm down as the rain let up with perfect timing. Lightning flashed and the thunder gently rolled as we settled into the sofa together.

Wil whispered my name with a yawn. "Yeah?" I slowly opened my eyes again and glanced up at him, but his were already closed and his head tilted to the side. His jaw hung open slightly, and he sleepily tightened his arm around my chest. I smiled and curled closer to him, snaking my arm around his middle and falling asleep as well.

***

Wilbur bolted awake under me. Apparently I eventually ended up laying down with my head in his lap. I shot awake and started to panic slightly. "What's wrong?" I asked groggily.

"No, it's nothing, I just got woken up by the thunder," he explained, rubbing his eyes.

I rolled on my back and looked up at him as an idea popped into my head. Wilbur raised an eyebrow at me as a sly smile creeped across my face. "Did you bring your umbrella? The really huge one?" I asked, plotting.

If he wasn't already confused at my expression, he was even more lost now. "Uh, yeah, it's by the front door. Why?" I chuckled and sat up, springing to the front door as he chased me. "Why?!" he asked more frantically.

The big umbrella was right by the entrance, as promised. I picked it up by the handle just as Wilbur stepped into the room. "Come on, follow me!" I said, darting up the stairs.

I reached my room again and eyeballed the giant glass door along the east side of my apartment. I hadn't had the chance to put up a curtain, so we had a clear view of the outside. The scared look melted off of Wil's face in exchange for a wild grin. He jogged over to the balcony and put his hand on the door. "Well what are you waiting for?"

The music from the percussive drops outside crescendoed as the glass door slid open. Wilbur and I stepped outside as I opened the umbrella and he shut the door behind us. The two of us leaned over the railing of the balcony and took in the scenery.

Deep blues and purples bellowed calm and chilly from the midnight sky. The barely illuminated houses added just enough light to see the undersides of the beautiful storm clouds. How could something so simple and routine as a thunderstorm be so breathtaking?

A warm shiver coursed through my body, making it all the way through my fingers and toes. This was the best kind of feeling, complete euphoria. No more stress from the unpacked boxes, no more sore muscles from lifting them all day. Just peace.

As the rain tapped and splattered against every surface, I looked up at Wilbur. The cool wind was blowing his hair into his face and his eyes were gently closed. Unsurprisingly, the ends of his hair were starting to get sprinkled with raindrops, as they fell just out if the umbrellas reach. I grinned and bumped his hip with my own, adjusting it to a more comfortable holding position.

I shut my eyes momentarily and breathed the damp air in slowly. It smelled of dhalias and spring. And Wil, but only because he was right beside me.

Several minutes of silence passed between us as we listened to the natural orchestra. "This is nice," I said at last. Wilbur hummed in agreement and snaked his arm around my waist, resting his palm on my hip. I leaned into his shoulder so he could wrap it further around my frame.

"Yeah, it is," he replied, leaning his head against mine. Words couldn't really put into perspective how perfect the moment was, and I think Wilbur understood that.

At some point I must have started shivering because Wil took notice. "Are you cold?" He chuckled, glancing down in my direction.

I ran my free hand up and down my upper arm, feeling goose bumps all over it. "Yeah, a bit, but I'm fine." He didn't take that for an answer, and instead pulled me in front of him and wrapped me in a warm embrace. I accepted this and pressed my cheek into his chest, listening to his heart beat sync up with mine.

"Better?" he asked with a squeeze.

"Better," I confirmed, nestling into his warmth.

Wilbur took the umbrella from me, allowing me to sink further against him. I savored the feeling of being so close to someone again. I guess I'm more of a people person than I put off.

I had always loved the rain, and this was one of my favourite things to do: just stand in it, listen to the choirs of raindrops and the bass of the thunder. The smell of wet concrete saturating the misty air. Sharing this experience with someone who was close to me felt like a dream. My fingers curled into his shirt just a bit more, and I sank into his arms just a but further.

♥️