Chapter ten

Alex clung to the female dragon's neck, trying to get a better look at the scene. A rageful roar rang out through the clearing. "Rainberry, what's going on here?" Songnote hastily asked, turning her elegant head over to the other female dragon next to her. "It's that dang Sandlava." Rainberry hissed, her lips curled up in a snarl. "Sandknight?" Alex peeped up, leaning to the left to try and see the golden scales of his dragon friend. "Yeah, him," Rainberry said, merely glancing at the human boy. "Why is he here?" Songnote asked, her voice a quiet hiss. "Probably here for the boy," Rainberry said, finally looking over at her princess. The princess looked over at Rainberry, the fury left her yellow eyes and was replaced with puzzlement. "You found the boy with that Sandlava?" She asked, Rainberry nodded, not seeming to notice the look the royal dragon was giving her. 

The boy fell off the princess, he landed face-first on the wooden ground. Songnote looked down at him and nudged him to make sure he was alright. Alex stood up, looking around the clearing. He spotted the golden dragon easily, Sandknight was being cornered by the colourful dragons. "Wait!" Alex shouted, jumping off the wooden porch. He nearly fell over, stumbling to regain balance. Once he did he ran towards the dragons, some towered over him as he passed under their legs. He could hear Songnote and Rainberry trying to call him back, but he didn't turn around. The boy got in between the sand dragon and these jungle-living dragons. 

Sandknight looked down at the boy in front of him, the rage seemed to just disappear when he saw the boy and the look of sheer confidence spread on his tanned face. "What's this? that boy Rainberry brought in?" One of the dragons cackled, snapping at the boy. Another one of them chuckled, going to grab the human with her sharp claws. Fear struck Alex immediately when he saw the sharp purple claws going to grab him, but he couldn't move, he was frozen in place. The Songlava howled in pain, throwing her head back. Sandknight had his strong jaws locked onto the dragon's forearm, bright red blood dripped from his teeth and her dark purple scales. He looked at the screaming dragon with hatred in his brown eyes. His pupils, which were usually full and wide, were thin, like crocodiles. 

"Enough!" Songnote's voice ran through the field. The dragons that weren't being held back by the intruder backed away from the scene, letting their princess in. "Sandknight, let go of her." Songnote hissed in a threatening tone, her forked tongue slithered out of her mouth. The golden dragon growled at her before letting go of the Songlavas leg. Blood dripped from his jaws. The male dragon stood up straight in front of the princess. "If it isn't Princess Songnote, you think it's funny running off with a young boy like that?" He growled nodding at the boy in front of him. Alex had fallen over in fear, his breath was quick and shaky. "I had no idea he was with you," Songnote replied, taking a step closer to the Sandlava. Rainberry put a wing in front of her princess, not wanting her to take another step near the dragon. 

"I'll be taking the boy back to his village now." Sandknight hissed, crouching down for Alex to climb onto his back. Alex hurriedly gripped onto Sandknights shoulder, heaving himself onto his back, his arms shaking violently as he did. "I'm afraid you can't quite yet," Songnote said from behind the other female's wing. "Oh, why's that?" Sandknight said, almost mockingly. "He's the chosen one." The princess said, ducking under Rainberry's wing and walking towards Sandknight and Alex. Sandknight didn't even look surprised at that information. "No shit." He sarcastically said, looking the princess in her yellow eyes. "He needs to find a dragon to be his ally so he can, ya know save the island and your pathetic ass." Songnote hissed, the dragon in front of her just smirked and chuckled. 

"Tell you what, I'll bring him back here tomorrow, sunrise," Sandknight said, unfolding his wings. Songnote didn't say anything, she kept her eyes on Sandknight. The golden dragon flapped his powerful wings, lifting himself and the boy into the air.  Alex was able to wave goodbye as the two flew off. 

"Why do they hate you so much?" Alex asked quietly, the dragon's ears flickered back against his head. "They just do kid," Sandknight replied, looking up at the luscious leaves. Alex looked down at Sandknights golden scales, he had some bare spots from when Alex had accidentally pulled some out and probably from that early fight. Sandknight beat his wings harder to get higher. "Where are we going?" Alex asked, looking away from his scales and out towards the leaves above them. "Your village," Sandknight answered plainly. Alex's eyes went wide, he laid against Sandknights body, clearly shaking. "But-" Alex tried to protest but was silenced when the dragon he rode burst through the canopy into the open air. 

Sandknight took a nice long breath. "This is much better." He said, taking another long breath of fresh, clear air. Alex looked down at the green canopy below them, then changing his gaze to the darkening sky above them, stars started to twinkle and then disappear as clouds drifted over them. A smile couldn't help but form on his lips. "This is beautiful." Alex gasped softly, taking in the view. "It is, isn't it?" Sandknight looked up at the starry sky, a sad look crossed his eyes before disappearing. "That it?" He asked, looking down at the shore. Alex's village stood between the forest barrier and the ocean shore, not many lights were lit down below, but it did seem like some people were still awake, probably just finishing their daily tasks. "That's it," Alex said with a nod when he followed the dragon's gaze.

The Sandlava nodded, diving down to the outskirts of the small town. He landed gracefully in the sand, crouching down to let the boy off his back. Alex slid down Sandknights wing, landing in the sand next to the dragon. "Meet you back here tomorrow," Sandknight said, about to take off again. A noise behind the two caught both of their attention. Alex tensed up as he looked over his shoulder, towards the village, hoping so much that it wasn't anyone who would try and kill Sandknight. But who stood behind the two made Alex relax more than he was before. Sandknight on the other hand wasn't relaxed. 

The man behind the two didn't look the most shocked. "Alex, who's this?" The man asked, gesturing to the golden dragon beside the boy. "This is Sandknight," Alex said with a smile as he patted Sandknights warm scales. "Sandknight this is Jack Gill." Alex then gestured over to the man. "You understand Sandlava? isn't their dialect that of a snake?" Jack asked, intrigued by the situation. "I can actually understand dragon," Alex said, placing a hand on his hip and smiling proudly. Jack looked at the boy, his light grey eyes shone with wonder and surprise. "Jack who are you-" A new voice said from behind Jack, a man seeming to be the same age as Jack stumbled out from behind him. His hair was dark brown and rather fluffy but still short, not as long as Alex's, he wore a blue plaid shirt with dark jeans and brown fisher boots. His ocean blue eyes were stabled onto the golden dragon. 

"And who's that?" Sandknight hissed, narrowing his eyes at the newcomer. "I uh don't know," Alex said, getting rather tensed up. His eyes landed on the new man, fear and worry inside them. He crossed his fingers and hoped deeply that this guy wasn't going to try and kill Sandknight or tell the rest that Dan Peterson's grandson was hanging around a dragon.