chapter five

The dragon sat, waiting for Alex to answer his question. Alex gulped, he didn't know the answer, maybe it was from the water he drank or maybe he was thirsty?

"You don't know, do you?" The dragon asked with a tilt of his head and Alex quickly nodded. The dragon seemed to sigh before shaking his head with his eyes closed. "What's your name kid?" He asked once he opened his eyes.

"A-Alex." Alex answered with a shaking voice before he gulped again. The dragon nodded a bit. "With an a?" he asked as if it wasn't obvious. Alex just nodded, even if he was talking to a dragon, he should still have some manners, he didn't want to get eaten after all.

"Alex Peterson?" The dragon asked, with an almost neutral face, Alex could see some anger peeking through. Alex gulped and nodded; the dragon snarled deeply. Alex backed away again.

"Grandson of Dan Peterson?" He asked now standing up, Alex gulped and realized that the dragon looked bigger when he was mad. "Umm y-yeah." Alex said much quieter than he expected. "But I'm not a dragon killer." He pointed out as he realized smoke coming out of the corner of his mouth.

The dragon stood there for a minute, smoke rising from his mouth before he shook his head and the smoke went away. Alex sighed in relief. "Of course, you did just not kill me." The dragon said with an almost sarcastic voice. Alex looked at the dragon surprised, he didn't know they could have their own personalities, his grandfather always told him they were blood thirsty creatures, even his leader thought that.

Of course, he should have guessed, Jack Gill had proven them wrong since he once found a Sealava napping on a nearby beach. Alex stood up with a small stumble as the dragon kept watching him with his brown eyes.

"and you are?" Alex asked after he gained his balance again. The dragon snorted slightly. "Sandknight." He answered, again Alex was surprised he didn't expect him to answer without hesitation.

"And what kind of dragon are you?" Alex asked, Sandknight did look like a Sandlava with the scale colour and since he was in the desert, but he had no barb or rattlesnake rattle. "Sandlava." Sandknight answered calmly.

Alex tilted his head, he knew better then to state he didn't have either of the tail parts to be a Sandlava, then again since Sandknight was a male dragon, like all animals, males fight other males for dominance, so maybe Sandknight lost his barb or rattlesnake rattle during one of those fights and the wound healed.

Sandknight noticed Alex looking at his tail so he pulled it closer to his body. "Why are you in the desert anyway kid?" Sandknight asked making Alex's attention go back to the dragon's face and not his tail.

"Umm just wandering." Alex said with some uncertainy in his voice, he looked around again and realized that the sun was starting to set. Sandknight looked at the setting sun and then back at the boy.

"You should get home." He said with a nod towards the jungle, Alex turned around and looked at the lush greens and the darkness of the jungle. Alex nodded before looking back at the dragon. "wait before I go, I have a tiny request." Alex said his hands close to his chest, the dragon had gotten up and was about to go in the other direction, but he looked back at Alex.

"I really want to know more about your kind, could we maybe meet here tomorrow?" Alex asked his voice shaky again, the dragon simply nodded before walking off.

Alex smiled brightly before he turned around and headed back to the jungle and his village. 

It took Alex at least three hours to walk back and it was already night, he entered his village and no one seemed to really care that he's been gone all day, they most of all thought he went chasing after that Treelava.

Alex went into his house, he could smell fish, cooked fish thankfully. His mother was in the kitchen cooking dinner, his grandmother on the couch, but no sign of his grandfather which could be good or bad.

"Where have you been?" His mother asked looking at him, Alex was covered in mud and had some sand on his legs and hair. "I uh went chasing after a dragon.........to you know............kill it?" Alex said with a nervous smile, his mother just nodded and went back to cooking.

Alex sighed in relief and decided to go get cleaned.

After his shower, Alex came back down stairs to see everyone had already eaten, there was a lonely plate of fish on the table, everyone else had already gone to sleep. Alex sighed and went over to the place, he gently poked it. It was freezing cold.

He sighed again and looked around the kitchen for something else to eat, or something that could heat his fish up. Then again, his mother always said 'f you don't eat it after it's cooked you get it cold' so whenever Alex was busy doing something else, he always got a cold dinner.

He decided to just grab some fruit, throw away the cold fish and just eat the fruit. He yawned slightly and finished eating the fruit before heading to bed. Tomorrow he was going back to the dessert, tomorrow he was going to meet that Sandlava again, tomorrow he could learn more about dragons.