Chapter One

Lizzy rushed down the corridor, the clacking of her heels on the stone floor echoing around her. She could not be late for her lesson, or else Father would scold her once again. Fumbling with her books, she managed to push the door open and rush inside. Her mother, Queen Vivienne sat at a small table in the corner of the library. She smiled as Elizabeth entered, and greeted her with a hug.
     “You weren’t sleeping in, were you?,” Mother asked.
     “I accidentally dozed off while breaking my fast.”
     Vivienne’s smile faded. “Your father won’t be too happy when he hears of this.”
     Elizabeth ducked her head. “I know.”
     “Let’s not worry about that right now. We must begin your lessons.”

     Lizzy’s lesson consisted of learning to read and write in Latin, speak German and French, as well as proper etiquette. By the time her lessons were done it was late noon and she politely excused herself from the library. Her skirt fluttered around her legs as she went to the stables. The sun shone bright, reflecting off her raven black hair. William, the stable master, held a horse by the reins.
     “Your Highness,” he bowed and held out his free hand to help her on to the saddle. “I trust you’ll be careful on your ride today?”
     “Of course I will. I always am. You act like I’m a child, don’t worry about me.”
     “Begging your pardon, Your Highness, but I am going to worry. If it was found out that I let you go riding without proper supervision I might get sent away. The king would have my head if anything happened to you because of me. You are of course the crown princess of Nydalia, being the only child of the king.”
     William had a permanent worried look on his face, as anyone would if they kept as many secrets from the king as he did. Though King Edward trusted William, there were many things he had done that could get him into serious trouble.
     Lizzy settled into her saddle as she rolled her eyes, “You tell me that every time I go for a ride. Can’t you just let me forget about it once?”
     William shook his head, “I'm sorry Your Highness, but I must make sure that you are aware of the dangers before leaving. It’s the least I can do.”
     “Yes, yes alright,” she said as she motioned for her horse to move forward. “Thank you again for having Flora saddled and ready for me to ride.”
     William bowed as she rode off, then went back to his chores. Lizzy quietly snuck her horse past the guards and through the gate with ease. She had done this many times before and knew when the guards were least observant. This allowed her to slip through unnoticed and ride freely to her heart's content. She took her horse down the dirt road lined with trees at a canter.
     Somewhere along the path she turned away and slowed down. Out of her saddle bag she pulled out a long dark cloak and tied it around her shoulders. Though the day was rather warm, she couldn’t risk being seen or recognised. Flora continued to walk further into the woods, guided by her rider.
     Cautiously Elizabeth hopped off her horse and tied the reins on a nearby branch. She continued to walk alone towards a small clearing that went unnoticed by most passerbyers. There was a small pond with a grand weeping willow next to it. This was where Elizabeth went everyday, to look at her willow tree. Today was different though. On the big trunk of the tree there was a note pinned to it with a dagger. It read,

     "Meet at Lucky’s when the sun is under the hill. I’ll be there in grey, with a hood covering my face.”

     Elizabeth smiled. She knew exactly what this note meant. She had an assignment.

     Taking the note, Elizabeth folded it up and brought it back to her saddle bag. Not bothering to finish her ride, she made her way back to the castle and returned her horse to William.
     “Chores all done?” she asked, looking seriously into his eyes.
     “Not quite Your Highness, but I’m ready to help with whatever you may need,” he replied with a slight twinkle in his eyes.
     Elizabeth nodded. Walking past him towards the exit, she leaned in and whispered. “Be ready. We have an assignment.”
     As she made her way up the cobblestone steps she thought on how to sneak away tonight. The sun was just beginning to set and it would be dinner time soon. She decided to push her thoughts of tonight aside so as to not appear suspicious. With nothing else to do before supper Elizabeth went to the solar to read.