5

"So you guys have met before?" Kate asked as we ate, looking sincerely excited to know how we met. Her family sat at one side of the table, Godswill first, Kate next then their son. We sat opposite them, with my mum sitting in between Gozie and me, and I was seated directly opposite the guy who was glaring daggers at me, keeping me uncomfortable as I ate. But I pretended not to notice his glares and enjoyed the food.

"Yes we have" I replied "and the food is good ma"

I scooped another spoon of the fried rice and ate slowly, savouring the taste

"Thank you so much." She smiled at me "So how did you meet my son?" She asked.

I looked at her, then around the table and noticed everyone was curious to know. Kazeem just continued eating like he didn't hear the question. After a few minutes of silence, I knew he wasn't going to talk to I decided to take advantage of the situation

"I met him this afternoon, right before I came home. Surprising right?" I asked

"Really?" Kate asked excitedly and I nodded

"Yes" then turning to my brother "Gozie remember that rude idiot I told you about? The one I met at Everyday supermarket?" My brother nodded and I pointed to Kazeem "that's him"

Kazeem dropped his cutleries and glared at me. Wiping his mouth with the napkin on the table, he looked at me "did you just—"

"God he was so rude that I couldn't just help but put him in his place" I interrupted him and he looked surprised at that. "We bumped into each other and he asked me and I quote 'are you fucking blind or something'. I was nice to remind him that he wasn't looking too and it wouldn't hurt to be nice but then, he was still rude and still expected an apology. I couldn't help myself anymore. I lashed out"

If eyes could kill, I know I would have died since because the glare Kazeem is giving me now would surely kill my spirit and destroy my soul.

"So what exactly did you say to him?" His dad asked, looking amused

"Oh nothing much. But it was along the lines of his attitude stinks and him being alone for the rest of his miserable life" I shrugged and took a sip of my juice while my mum choked on her food. She coughed vigorously and I rubbed her back while my brother offered her water to drink which she gulped. Kazeem's parents looked a bit uncomfortable but Kate smiled and continued eating.

After dinner, we headed back to the parlour and sat down. My mum looked like she was about to pass out.

"Mummy are you okay?" Gozie asked and she smiled.

"I'm fine" she replied

"We have something important to discuss with you people" Godswill sat up, getting everyone's attention "Kazeem, your mother and I have decided to help you settle down. You're always sleeping with different girls and we need you to settle down and become responsible"

Looks like he won't have to be single for the rest of his life. Poor girl. But wait oo, how is that my business?

"So we have decided that you'll marry Eberechukwu here"

I think I heard wrongly

"Ehhh?" I asked, my face no doubt full of surprise.

"What? Daddy no. Anyone but her" Kazeem replied

I was tempted to make a daddy joke when he said daddy but this isn't the time.

I turned to my mum who was seriously sweating. If this was a different case, I would have laughed at her but this is a serious matter so I couldn't laugh. After a while, I began laughing. I laughed so hard that my stomach hurt.