Chapter 1; Encounter

I traveled from city to city, town to town, picking up small jobs here in there. The winter had set in harsher then expected. I held the Haori tightly, my body shivering; as the snow whirled around me. I opened an the door that lead to an inn, a woman sat behind a counter. When her eyes met me, she smiled and stood up straighter. "Hello, do you need a room, Miss?" She smiles gently, I walk over and shaking the snow from my hair.
"Good evening, yes, I'd like a room." I smiled warmly to her, my cheeks flushed from the frigid air.
"Okay, how many nights will you be staying with us?" She asks grabbing a key from behind the counter.
"Umm.. I week a believe." I think aloud to her, as I pull out my coin purse. She informs me of the room number and the amount I'll have to pay, I luckily had just enough. But I'll have to pick a job up in the morning.

After a wish her a good night a head down the hall and open the room that would be mine for a week. Removing my shoes; I sit down. My legs were a bit tired and I understood why. I'd traveled quite I bit today, and the snow made it no easier. The futon looked so warm and comforting that she crawled into the thick winter blankets, she placed his sword beside her and snuggled into the bedding.

When day broke, she set off to find a job. The market place was open and people cleaned the snow from their vending booths and shops. I walked around asking many people for a week long job before leaving. Eventually after 4 different shops, I found one. An older man and woman, selling what seemed to be handmade wooden carvings some more decorative while others practical. My job was to watch and make sure no one stole, they'd apparently had some problems with theft as of late. I agreed, I could use sword Satoshi's sword if needed. I wouldn't harm anyone but scaring is fine.

I stood to the side, my hand resting to the hilt of his purple sword. My eyes looking over the crowd of people. People had been up to the stall and browsing all day. My fingers felt slightly numb, but nothing to fret over. A small child runs over to the stall and looks through things, I watched this small child hold a small fox carving. He turned and right before I could do anything, bolted into the crowd. The old woman yelled and I ran after the child, without much debate. I looked around, my breath heavy and coming out in small clouds. I saw the child showing a boy with burgundy hair as he starts to seem nervous and looks around.

I approached the two of them and smile, "excuse me, can I have the carving back?" I ask, my breath starting to lighten.
"Oh! I'm so sorry, she just wanted to show me." He said slightly sheepishly, I sigh a little and look at her. I crouch down to her, holding my hand out.
"You're not in trouble, but can I have it back?" I give the most nonthreatening smile I could muster. She gave it back and I pat her head. "Thank you." I stand back up, moving the sword back slightly. My eyes study the figure seeing nothing wrong with the wood.
"I'm sorry again." I shake my head a little.
"It's okay, kids will be kids. Just don't let it happen again." I wave starting to walk away.
"Hey, as an apology we can make you dinner." I think it over for a moment and then the thought of the money issue returns.
"Sure, I'd be delighted. My job ends soon and if you wouldn't mind waiting, I'll join you." He nods and we say our goodbyes before parting ways.

The rest of the time I just stood watching, the older couple paid me for my troubles and thanked me for my help. I bowed and I search for a small time for the red haired boy. Soon, I find him. He was collecting money and seemed to be getting ready to leave. I moved up to him and I soft smile spreed across my lips. Once he noticed me, he waved. I returned the gesture, stopping in front of him. "I live up the mountain, I hope you don't mind the hike." He comments, the girl sitting on his back.
"No, I don't mind. I walk I good bit." I say leaving it vague enough for no questioning.

We begin our hike, the snow was thick but not enough to hinder anyone from traveling. I walked along side him, my eyes grazing other the bare trees and snowy tracks of animals. Before long this feeling crept up my neck, as if someone was watching us. The red head seemed unfazed, same for the girl. I stop and glance around, my hand on my sword ready to draw if needed. "My name is Kamado Tanjirō, I don't think I actually ever introduced myself. You can call me Tanjirō." I turn to him and start walking again.
"Oh, it's a pleasure, I'm Nakamura (Y/N), but (Y/N) is fine." I respond, returning to walking besides him.

The feeling never left, the tread was long and slightly tiring due to the snow. Once I saw the small home the sun was starting to set. He brought me in and the little girl ran off somewhere else. A woman walks over and becomes a bit startled by me being here. "Oh, hello! Is she joining us for dinner, Tanjirō?" She asked assuming her son. He nods and explains the incident this morning to her. "Oh! I'm so sorry for her." She smiles bowing slightly.
"It's fine, is it okay if I eat here?" I ask her, not wanting to force anyone into feeding another person.
"Yes, it's fine, I made a bit extra tonight anyway." She waved it off and invited me in further.

I removed my shoes and saw the decent sized family they had. It felt somewhat familiar to me, from visiting the graves of my last family I knew I had a larger family as well. But, their faces are blurs along with the voices. The only voice I can somewhat remember is my mother's; all the others are no longer with me. This sense of dread and the sent of blood filled my being, which wasn't uncommon when trying to recount my past.

When dinner had begun, they all talked with eachother and me. I took I smaller portions of everything so I wouldn't take too much. "Are you from around here (Y/N)?" Ms. Kamado asked.
"Umm, no I'm not. I'm from quite ways away. I've been traveling around for a few months. I just got into town last night." I inform her, sitting up a little straighter.
"Traveling? Do you have a destination?" She continued to question me, her curiosity seemed to be peeked.
"No, I don't. Just walking. I go where my legs take me, through any conditions." I answer back, eating a bit more.
"Oh, I see, do you have any family?" It was a harmless question but for me, it hurt. I grabbed the sleeve of the haori gently.
"I-I do not." The stutter left my lips, I was anger with myself for showing weakness. This urge to be strong always gnawed at me, I didn't know why but it did.
"Oh, I'm sorry if I upset you." She frowned a little but it still felt warm.
"It's fine." Was all I could say, before continuing to eat.

Then the evening ended, they insisted on me staying the night but I couldn't find it in myself to allow me the pleasure. I already took much of their time and I didn't want to over stay my welcome. I left bidding adieu to the family and thanked them for their hospitality.

I was alone again. The air was cold but still, everything was deathly quiet. Not even the branches moved. I placed my hand on my sword and searched the thick brush for anything. The feeling of being watched returned, "Give me strength." I mumble continuing to descend the mountain side. My heart was in my throat, I was nervous. Something felt off; but I pressed on. Traveling a lot made me used to ward off wild animals and unruly people, but this felt different. My stomach churned and paranoia over took my senses. My pace picked up a bit, or as much as it could in the snow. I felt something on my shoulder, I frozen. The grip around the sword tightened until my knuckles were undoubtedly white.

Within seconds the pressure left me and I whirled around the sword pulled from its sleeve, but I was alone. No one was around me, only my foot prints sat in the snow. I swallowed and looked down at the sword, my reflection staring back at me. My (E/C) eyes looked so tired, almost as if I hadn't rested properly in weeks. My (H/C), (H/L) hair was slightly tossed about not exactly neat nor messy. I let a sigh escape my lips before slipping the sword back and continuing for the steep rocks.

After a long and tiring walk, I get to town and bee line for my room. I walk a decent way there before a shriek filled the quiet night. Screams for help and panic was now swirling around me in the air. I moved towards the sound, an small alley was where the noises origins were from. I peered around the corner, the disgusting crunch filled my ears. I saw red covering the fresh white snow, I form hunched over another. The smell of iron filling me. The beast moved just enough for me to see the neck of a woman had been basically removed, her bloodshot eyes glossed over, tears stained her cheeks. The beast turns towards where I am and I jump back behind the wall. I hold my breath, my feet refusing to move. The sound of walking approached me.