What happened was..

*Spoiler warning: Character development may be a spoiler for those who have not read up to chapter 90.

"OOOW!" The force of the slap sent Ashiya rolling over, clutching his face where it stung. My face is already swollen, why did you have to hit me!?" He started whining again, it seemed like he was back to regular Ashiya.

A sigh of relief escaped Abeno's mouth. It felt like a distant memory with those eyes. No emotion, no tone, just someone who had no care in the world. The thoughts were disrupted as Justice claps, "So then.. Ashiya told us that he practically forced you to be his employee." He licks his lips and squats where Ashiya once kneeled. "Did you want to be back here, Abeno? Did you want to walk around and decide?"

There were a few places Abeno wanted to stop by, but the only place to solidify his answer was one place only. That was the old lecture room that was turned into a place where Ashiya and Abeno played. After a bit of contemplation, Abeno asked if it were possible to go back to that place. The legislator smiled, saying that the room has never been touched since he's parted ways. In fact, Ashiya has not entered that room since Abeno lost connection with him. It was a deep memory Ashiya wanted to preserve and was too sad to enter the room after his dad, then his instructor Aoi, and finally his only friend disappearing.

Ashiya, not sure if he wanted to see the room reluctantly follows the rest of the men to the room all the way down the hallway. This was an area that was far from the rest as the children were still learning influence as well as being taught confidential information. Abeno opened the door while the branches waited outside. Ashiya see's Abeno walk in, touching the small desk they used to sit in. Ashiya musters up the courage and steps foot into the dusty room. Some drawings were left on the floor of a cat and stick figures with coloring utensils scattered. Some old robes were folded up inside the cabinets, it was much smaller than they expected. On the chalk board showed their first names under an umbrella. But, it was still very messy. Small chunks of wood were still laying about. There was an indent in the wall, and there was a discolored patch of flooring near the window.

Abeno continued to look around, and Ashiya watched him carefully to see his reaction. Did he want to be back in this world? Does he not remember Ashiya and what happened back then? Does he resent meeting him and forced to go to the underworld? Sweat started forming between his finger tips, he was feeling anxious. He didn't want Abeno to leave again, but he didn't want him to suffer either. This area that used to be a pleasant memory for Ashiya was nothing but pain. This was the same place where he killed a yokai to save Abeno.

When they were both 7, Sakae had already passed on but wished for his son to still be around yokai. He knew his son was already attached to Aoi's son and wanted to continue that friendship. Aoi allowed Sakae's last wish, along with the transfer of his influence to his son in order to- in some way, repent for killing his father. Ashiya had both his own influence and his fathers, but he had yet learned how to use his own at the time. There was a time a powerful yokai escaped Justice's employees, and for vengeance, the wolf-like yokai charged at Justice's scent which led him to the play room. Abeno had just said goodbye to Justice, and his fur was shedding as it was the summer. While dusting his clothes off, the wolf yokai barged through the door and pounced on Abeno's small body. Teeth were flared to the young boy beneath its large, dark green paw. You could feel the hot breath against your face, the blood lust made the pressure in the room even more difficult for Abeno to breath. The weight of the yokai's body on Abeno was too extreme where he started using his nails to scratch at it's arm. Foam was beginning to form around the boys mouth as he attempted to take small little breaths but only to be slammed with its paw once again making him spit- choking him even more.

Aoi was saying goodbye to everyone and could not feel its presence as the room was so deeply hidden inside the birdcage. No one else was around to save Abeno.

Ashiya came back from the bathroom and stood in the doorway completely shocked. His only friend was dying right in front of his eyes and he could do nothing.

"Aoi... AOI!! AOOOI!!" He looked around the hallway to see anyone but to no avail, he was alone. The fear felt in his gut was unbearable, so clutches his robe in front of him so hard that he bursts his skin underneath. Ashiya didn't know what to do, he didn't know how to use influence, but he couldn't do anything but watch Abeno reach his small arm out towards the door frame to ask Ashiya for help. With the last of Abeno's breath, he called out to him. "Ha.....na...e.."

Tears flood Ashiya's eyes, his breaths becoming more and more staggered until he passed out.

The yokai grins, seeing the other little snack slam on the floor. Its eyes slowly look back at Abeno who had no more strength. This was the perfect time to eat when it's prey gives up.

It opens its mouth wide, drooling as it attempts to engulf Abeno's full head. Right when it's teeth touch Abeno's black hair, there is someone standing right in front of it. A boy with yellow eyes, placed its hand on its head. "Disappear, yokai."

The yokai attempts to injure the prey right at it's foot, but Ashiya kicks him off Abeno's body And begins to kick it repeatedly. "Disgusting. Yokai.. Should all die."

Kick.. kick..kick.. Until there was only air left.

At this moment, everyone rushed back inside as they felt the powerful influence. Aoi, out of breath, looks at the broken door on the floor. "ITSUKI! HANAE!" She runs inside, tears flooding out of her eyes as she sees the wounds coming out of the young boy's body. His face was scratched up, his clothes were torn where the wolf kept kicking at. "I'm so sorry.... I'm so sorry.." She hugs Abeno, leaving the empty Ashiya standing there with blood all over his clothes and face. She looks up, motioning the young boy to come into her arms. The branches looked at each other, knowing full well what had happened inside the playroom. It was an incident that was requested to be hidden along with Aoi's death in the underworld.

Ashiya came back to his senses and looked at his hands. Shaking, he begins purging, throwing up all over himself and passes out. The legislator caught the boy just before hitting his head, and the rest was history.

Abeno has not stepped foot into that room ever since and not too long after, Aoi had died. It seemed the memory was suppressed too deep due to shock, and Ashiya was afraid of him remembering. The stress became unbearable for him, and he covered his mouth with the oversized blue robe in order to not start gaging. The legislator notices and steps out of the way so that Ashiya can exit the room to recover.

Abeno takes a look at the wall. While all traces of blood had been removed, it bothered him how he didn't remember why he didn't come back here even after asking Aoi. Picking up one of the pictures, he intently looks at the drawing of the two boys on it. Without looking up, he asks the legislator. "Tell me what happened, no bullshit." He motions his head over at the man who looked skeptical. He didn't want trauma to resurface, but this was also something that he should know before he became an employee.He steps inside the room, crossing his arms to find the pipe hidden in his robe. He begins to smoke, leaning against the wall and tells the story to the boy.

________
Hello, it's Anon11400.

I started out the story as a comedic piece to heal my heart of the ending soon appearing, but I ended up bringing more pain.

Regardless, I hope you enjoyed and continue supporting Wazawa-sensei and their future work.

Thank you,