Chapter 6

About Last Night

"Sometimes you have to lose yourself to discover who you might be. Sometimes what feels like breaking down is really just breaking free." – Cristen Rodgers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Who the hell does he think he is to call me lonely?

I am not lonely. I am finally independent for the first time in what feels like forever and I can finally do whatever the hell I want without having to worry about what Justin will think of it, or how Justin will factor into that decision.

While Justin never once told me what I can and cannot do, marriage is about communicating. That meant that if I wanted to go on a girls' trip with Megan, I couldn't just pack a bag in the middle of the night and leave without saying anything. No, I had to get his input on it because it was the right thing to do. But quite frankly – I was tired of getting other people's input on things.

I wanted to live my life how I wanted and when I wanted.

Getting married so young, I never got to experience my rebellious twenties and that's one of my biggest regrets. It's stupid, I know. I just never felt like I could be myself around Justin, so I was always reserved – playing the role of a perfect wife.

I couldn't help but think that if maybe I went through that phase already, I wouldn't have been so quick to throw away six years with Justin. Guess we'll never know now, I thought as I tilted my head back and allowed the alcohol to burn down my throat. Setting the glass back on the counter, I motioned to the bartender for another one.

I don't know how much time had passed since I had come back into the restaurant after my little run-in with Ethan, but I do know that I was pretty wasted. The guy in front of me droning on about his beach house in the Hamptons was beginning to look a little blurry, and I had to squint a couple of times so that he no longer looked like he had three heads.

"You know... what." I hiccupped as I grabbed Blondie's arm for support. He had probably told me his name at some point during our conversation, but it went in one ear and out the other. "Let's get out of here."

Blondie looked more than happy to oblige as he threw some cash on the bar and stood up. I had to grab onto the back of my stool because the ground looked a little wobbly. However, even once I had steadied myself, I didn't get too far.

"McKenzie." Ethan came out of nowhere to block Blondie and I's path.

"Sorry buddy," Blondie smirked. "But she's going home with me tonight."

"Like hell she is." Ethan's eyes flared in anger as he grabbed my wrist and pulled me to him.

Gosh, everything was so blurry.

"Fuck off, man." Blondie took a step towards Ethan in an attempt to be intimidating, but Ethan was taller than him and stood his ground.

"I'm going to give you five seconds to get the fuck out of my face, man." Ethan deadpanned, as he continued to glare at him.

It seemed Blondie was considering another comeback before he finally gave up and shot his hands up in surrender. "You know what, she's all yours. She's not even that hot."

Well then. I may be beyond my alcohol limit for the night, but that still hurt.

Ethan's hold on me tightened as he muttered something under his breath. "Come on." He looked down at me.