Past Burdens

As soon as Roxanne fell asleep, Amber exited the room and closed the door gently. She made her way downstairs to see her sister — sitting on a regal purple chair with intricate patterns.

  "Is she asleep yet?" She had her hands pinched onto the bridge of her nose in frustration.

  "Yes, she is. I'm telling you, sister, she's just a young child! There's no reason for you to be treating her this way!" Amber hissed.

  "So what if she's a child?! Do you think mother and father cared if we were children or not?!" Patience's voice leaked such hot anger that it felt like even the room shook in fear.

  Amber winced at her sister's words. "Please don't bring that up..."

  "We were put through grueling training at a young age. Every single day, we had to carry the weight of huge expectations brought upon us," Patience continued, "Yet I knew they had the best intentions for us."

  Patience glanced out the large window. At nighttime, no one was outside their homes. The bright stars that illuminated the indigo sky were the only audience to their sisterly quarrel. "Such a shame you were too arrogant to see it. If it weren't for them, I wouldn't have become the embodiment of perfection."

  Amber sighed, and merely ignored Patience's statement about her. "Look, sister, I won't tell you how to raise your child. She isn't mine, after all. But please give her time. I promise she will become the perfect being you want her to be someday. And just because mom and dad did, doesn't mean it's always going to work. Try different methods instead."

  Patience simply grumbled at her sister's advice.

  Amber headed towards the door. Once she held the cold, golden knob, she looked back at her sister and said, "I'm leaving now... Take care." Without another word, the older sibling left the estate.

  Amber walked onto the cobblestone road, staring at the night sky that smiled down on her with its beautiful colors. She thought about what Patience said. A dark past she wanted to keep buried was now dug up from the grave. Amber vividly recalled those horrid memories.

  The flaxen-haired girl stared up at her sister with wide eyes. They got tearier once she looked at her parents, who stared down in disappointment from behind her sister. "Patience, please don't do this." She cried out.

  The periwinkle-haired hma said nothing to her sister as she looked away. However, their mother had a mouthful to say. "Don't you dare talk to your sister! She has done more in this family than you have ever done! You are such a disappointment! If you really don't want to be in this family, then just leave!" She hissed.

  Amber winced at her mother's words. Her father's glare didn't make it any better. For a brief moment, she made eye contact with her sister. The very sibling whom she protected and cared for; and the one who promised to be there for her and love her back. Her warm and cheerful eyes turned cold and expressionless. Patience said not a word as she was dragged away by her parents without question. Leaving Amber in the solitude of her misery.

  From then on, Amber swore to never disobey her parents again. As she was also living up to their expectations, she couldn't help but hope that this would cause Patience to once again warm up to her. But it never happened. Their relationship grew strained and distant. And after all these years, it has proven that it will forever be.