Playtime

The two girls sat on one of Asgrad's beloved bridges. Although it was the same destination, the two girls had different reasons for why they were there. Germaine thought that this was a nice place to visit, whereas Roxanne just wanted to escape her mother's constant yelling and her father's dirty looks.

  "Do you think the water is calming?" Roxanne asked, breaking her friend’s constant blabbing.

  "Huh?" Germaine questioned. "I guess it's nice." She stared down at the water that Roxanne was so enraptured by.

  "It's quite beautiful, actually. You can get lost in it." The seven-year-old commented.

  There was a moment of silence before Germaine burst into laughter. "Oh, Roxanne! You're silly! How can you get lost in the water if you're not in it?"

  "That's not what I meant..." Roxanne whispered. However, she couldn't be heard because of her friend's loud laughter.

  "Come on, Roxanne! Let's go play. Come to the forest. I know a perfect place to play!"

  "Sure, I guess..." Roxanne hesitated.

  "Yayayayay!" Germaine squealed excitedly. She then ran off somewhere. It took Roxanne a few minutes to process that she had to follow her, and she quickly ran after her excited friend.

  "Wait up!" Roxanne huffed. As she ran, she glanced at the trees. She never took time to visit the forest, so this was all foreign to her. She will admit, the groves looked rather beautiful, and added more life to Asgrad's plain fields.

  The two girls stopped at a small clearing. The grass was bright green, and there was a small pond that reflected the sky above. Roxanne admired the nature. "So, what are we going to do here?"

  Germaine stood still for a few seconds before she tapped Roxanne with her soft, white feathers. "Tag! You're it!" She then ran off but stayed within the clearing.

  "Hey! No fair! I was off guard!" Roxanne huffed as she was now forced into this game of tag. She ran after her friend, who unfairly got a head start. This caused the latter to scream in terror and start running.

  Their game of tag consisted mostly of both of them chasing the other in circles. Despite it being repetitive, the girls found fun in this. When they were tired, the two girls lay on the vivid grass below them.

  "What a fun game! But I still want to play." Germaine sighed, "Something with less running though..."

  "Oh? Got anything in mind?" Roxanne asked as she looked at her friend.

  "Not really..." The pullum thought hard about what their next activity should be. She then perked up suddenly, "Oh! I know! How about this?" And in just an instant, the girl turned into a white chick.

  Roxanne stared at her for a bit before she spoke. "I don't get it."

  "Let's tell each other what to do! But we have to be in our animal form."

  A few moments of silence plagued Roxanne. She was rather hesitant about this. "I don't know... I only take that form if it's EXTREMELY necessary..."

  "Oh, okay... I guess we don't have to then." There was a hint of sadness in Germaine's voice that Roxanne caught on. She couldn't stand seeing her friend sad, so she did exactly what she wanted her to do.

  "Finnnee." In an instant, Roxanne shifted to a lilac wolf pup. There was a green streak on the top of her head, and small white fur trailed down the top of her neck to her upper back. Small, green claws were embedded into the wolf's paws.

  Germaine looked up, "Woah! What a pretty wolf."

  "Thanks... Now tell me what to do, I guess." Golden eyes narrowed with a hint of annoyance in the pup's voice.

  "Hehehe." With her beak, the chick grabbed a small stick and threw it. The distance was rather pathetic, but it was normal for an animal her size. "Fetch!"

  "Really...?" Golden orbs narrowed more. But this time, a small growl escaped Roxanne's lips. It was rather unpleasant to start with dog jokes.

  "Yes! Now go doggy! Fetch!"

  A groan left the purple pup as she dawdled over to the stick. She then clasped it between her teeth and walked over to Germaine, where she then dropped the stick. Germaine looked down at the stick in disgust. "Ew, sticky drool."

  "My turn. Peck the floor and cluck like a chicken." Roxanne sneered. The taste of revenge was just too sweet.

  "I-... finnee." With her small beak, Germaine pecked the floor like a chicken looking for food. She then tried to mimic the cluck of a chicken with her voice. Albeit it was pathetic.

  The purple wolf burst into laughter. Rolling on the green grass below, she got her fur dirty with its greenery. "That was perfect! You really are a chicken!"

  Unbeknownst to the hma, the pullum was getting ready to pounce on her. She realized too late as Germaine jumped onto her face and started pecking at her angrily, but softly. She didn't want to hurt her friend, which also meant that she avoided Roxanne's eyes. And this time, actual chicken sounds are emitted from the angry chick.

  "Aaa! Angry chicken! Angry chicken!" Roxanne screamed as she tried to get Germaine off of her. Shaking and thrashing, the pullum wouldn't come off, however.

  After their little feud, the girls agreed to never do such a thing ever again. Although, they couldn't help but laugh it off at the end. Germaine walked Roxanne home soon after. They talked about the most random topics and constantly made each other laugh. For once, Roxanne could feel just like a child. And she was happy about that, despite it only being temporary.

  She stopped walking before they could reach the gates of the manor. She didn't want her parents to see Germaine, so she sent her off early. The girl watched her friend run off in a random direction. She'd assume it was towards her own home, but Germaine quite enjoyed visiting other places as well. Regardless, Roxanne watched her until her figure kept getting smaller and smaller. She turned away once Germaine was out of sight.