Chapter 30

Jamie stood at that window for an embarrassingly long amount of time, trying to decide whether or not she should be mature for once. Adults constantly threw the "you'll regret it later," argument at her, but she couldn't exactly confirm whether or not it was true in this case. Eventually, she made her decision, hoping to the Moon Goddess that she wouldn't make a complete fool of herself by doing this.

One of the main ways her parents and Jamie ever bonded were over competitions. Out of all the classics, laser tag, paintball, video games, board games, water balloon fights were easily their favorite. Also, technically snowball fights but they could only do those in winter. And, lucky for Jamie, her arsenal was exactly where she left it. The look on Zack's face when the first balloon exploded onto his head was priceless. They both looked towards the woods, where they thought the projectile had come from, to find his attacker, but were only met with two more water balloons, one for each of them.

When they did get a look at their soon-to-be opponent, they were understandably confused, "Jamie? I thought you-"

"Nope," She shushed Zack immediately, "We aren't talking about all that. Right now, we're going to have a very one-sided water balloon war," Fight was never an accurate term for what happened when they had had an arsenal of balloons at the ready.

"One-sided? We've been kicking your ass in these for years," Zack quickly took one container of balloons.

"I think your memory is failing you, old man," Jamie smirks, knowing that this bit of peace between them wouldn't last long. As soon as they each had a balloon in hand, it would be mayhem, "Even with all of the times it was two against one, I still have a good win streak, if I remember correctly."

That streak had actually been broken in their last war, but Melissa thought it better to let her have this. It was an impressive thirty-seven, and she just hoped they'd get to the point where another streak like that was possible; it didn't matter that Jamie was wrong. So, instead, Melissa armed herself with a couple neon balloons that only have a fifty percent chance of breaking on impact normally, but with werewolf strength that raised that statistic immensely. She would definitely need them soon.

Jamie, as always, made the first move. She took every opportunity she got to get a hit, no matter how cheap the shot was. Ruthlessness was stirred up first in her, but Zack and Melissa weren't far behind. After all, she had to get her competitive nature from somewhere.

Several Garavin pack members had to dodge out of the way suddenly to avoid stray projectiles; their aim had gotten worse the more they laughed. It was safe to say that Zack's shirt would never dry out, Melissa would need a shower to wash off all the dirt, and that Jamie would be stuck cleaning up the little rubber pieces of balloons left everywhere. Alpha Lewis hated littering.

All was looking well for Jamie, that is until she was sprayed from behind, "First, I'm not allowed to visit my best friend, and then, she starts a water balloon fight without me?"

She groaned, "I didn't invite you to the fight because you always cheat and use the hose!" Like he was doing now, "Aim it at them, not me, Fin!"

He laughed, like it was the funniest joke in the world, "And have to run an extra five laps around the territory at training? No thanks," Fin kept the hose trained on her while Zack and Melissa jumped at the opportunity.

Fin had been her best friend from this pack, but she wasn't quite sure if he could still be considered that. He too had stood by when she was banished, and while he didn't accuse her of being guilty like pretty much everyone else did, he didn't understand why she hated Katey so much. They hadn't spoken since the day before she killed Katey; the day where she genuinely considered showing him all the evidence she had gathered.

"This is a hate crime!" Jamie yelled ducking for cover behind a bush.

"You have to be part of a minority for it to be a hate crime," Melissa giggled, mercilessly tearing apart her daughter's argument.

Jamie dodged a balloon from Zack, "I'm injured and clinically depressed! Even if you don't consider those to be minorities this is still a very dishonorable way to win!" They were running out of balloons, but the hose would keep going until Fin decided to play fair and turn it off. At least they couldn't accuse her of cheating this time around.

Without warning, she charged at Fin, tackling him to the ground. They had been wrestling since they were pups, so by now she knew all of his weak spots. His sides were incredibly ticklish, and because he was so busy assaulting her with a hose, he left himself vulnerable. She took advantage of his weakness without a second thought, and in his weakened state it was incredibly easy to steal the hose away from him.

For a second, she turned off the nozzle, "I've got a hostage, and I won't hesitate to aim for his face!" She called out, pointing the hose at Fin's head.

"Then it's a damn good thing that isn't my kid!" Zack threw a neon green balloon that broke against her shoulder.

"Jamie, we can talk about this-" Fin pleaded as a smirk spread across her face, "They're the ones that struck, you can just aim for them-" His argument was cut short when he was blasted in the face with water. The pressure had gotten stronger because the water was still running, only being blocked by the nozzle attached to the end.

"Put the hose down kid, or we'll be forced to unleash all the power we have," Zack said ominously, and she noticed that their container of water balloons was much more full than it had been when last she checked.

Those sly bastards had taken her supply when she went after Fin, and when he realized what they were doing he made sure she couldn't escape by grabbing her. Zack and Melissa ran over with the bucket, Fin's noble sacrifice paying off as the two dozen balloons or so landed on them both. Jamie laughed from her position above Fin, swiping her, no doubt, messy hair away from her face.

"See? That got so much more fun after I showed up," Fin commented, "accidentally" getting hit by the hose afterwards as Jamie wound it up again.

Melissa couldn't stop laughing, even having to wipe a tear from her eye, "What the hell was that?" She was confident, maybe too confident, that Jamie would leave without so much as a goodbye, but then she starts a water balloon war? It was weird, right?

"Yeah, what the hell is this?" An angry growl emitted from the approaching werewolf.

A/N: Uh oh, I wonder who that could be... 😉 I'm having too much fun with these author notes 😂