Chapter 37

Girl talks could go a lot of ways, most of which were bad in Jamie's opinion. Being horribly embarrassed when talking about boys, having to listen to all of them complain about their own looks while her own self-esteem lowers, and listening as overshare things she wished to unhear were all possible. She really didn't want to hear about Chelsie and Devin's sex life, or the childhood misadventures of Braxton from Astral.

"I think it's only fair that we start by interrogating the hell out of Jamie," Sadie suggests calmly.

"Why me?" She asks.

"Because I already know everything about them," She argues simply, "So now it's your turn."

"She's a guest here, Sadie. It's only fair that she asks us some things first," Astral points out hospitably, "Jamie, what would you like to know about us?"

Going open-ended with that question may not have been the smartest option, because she had implied that Jamie could ask anything, and they probably wouldn't like it if she asked anything and everything that came to mind. Then again, she doesn't really care what other people, except maybe Ryder, thought of her, so it didn't really matter, "Alright. Astral, why is your brother such an asshat?" She figured she'd start with an easy one.

"For starters, I swear he's not always such a jerk," So it was just Jamie that he hated the guts of, "He just isn't very trusting of rogues in general, because one attacked me when we were kids. I actually still have a scar from it," She lifted up her shirt sleeve, revealing the ends of faint lines that must have been claw marks, "He doesn't really believe that not all rogues are crazy, bloodthirsty messes."

Then he was clearly dumber than Jamie had determined, if he hadn't figured out from their first interaction alone that she didn't plan on murdering him and his entire family for simply existing and being happy together, "But even then, he's still a jerk," Chelsie added honestly, "Just more of a whiny, 'I respect but also hate you' kind of jerk."

"Sometimes even the respect part isn't there," Sadie muttered bitterly. He always treats her like a little kid compared to him, even though she considers herself pretty mature for a fourteen year old. She's even shifted, but Braxton still treated her like a kid even more than the rest of Ryder's friends.

"Just another reason why being gamma is great," Chelsie snickered, downing the rest of her Sprite, "If he annoys me too much or questions my authority I can make him run a stupid amount of laps around the territory in human form."

"You really abuse your power sometimes," Jamie pointed out, "I respect that," Getting back at those who dare judge her was honestly going to be the best part about being luna, "Speaking of power, how did you become gamma anyway? It's possible you just look really young, but I really don't think you were legally able to receive the position at the same time Mason became alpha."

Her smile lost its humor, "Should've seen that one coming. Simply put I inherited the position, something that Mason doesn't typically believe in for pack roles. Sure, having alpha blood could make for a physically stronger leader, but you could also end up with a shitty megalomaniac, which is how Chris was chosen to be the next beta, even though David isn't his dad," She explains, "Still, he apparently thought that I would do a 'fine job' of filling my dad's shoes, even though I was only fifteen when I got the role."

Chelsie didn't have to elaborate further, "I'm sorry for your loss," Jamie never really knew what to say in these situations, but that seemed like the best option, however basic.

"Don't worry about it," She waved her concern off, "If I didn't want to talk about it then I wouldn't have answered. Now, I think it's only fair that Sadie be asked something next," She smirks.

"Sounds fair to me," Jamie agrees, "Sadie, what's your middle name?" Once she learned that Ryder's is Gaylord, she was left wondering if Mason and Danielle hate him that much or if it's some sort of tradition in their family.

"What? Why the heck does she get the easiest question?" Chelsie asked, feigning offense.

Sadie shushed her, clearly glad to get such an easy one, "It's Marie," That was more than a little disappointing, "Our parents are the type to reuse middle names from relatives we've never met or even heard of. Why Ryder got stuck with such a stupid one? I have no idea."

"It's because they knew how much joy those around him would take from it," Chelsie determined, "Or they might have been looking through their family tree while drunk, which would actually explain a lot."

"Yeah, especially if mom was pregnant and drunk at the same time," Sadie added, "Sadly, I think she's too loving for that, which means there's no excuse for him to be the way that he is."

"Be careful, that's my mate you're talking about," Jamie threatens jokingly. In actuality, they could bash him all they wanted. It was hilarious to her. So long as they didn't insult anything too important, like his looks or capability to lead, it was fine, "And I'm going to get even more power than Chelsie in a couple years so you better watch yourselves."

"What has the Moon Goddess created?" Sadie muttered.

Chelsie sets a hand on the younger's shoulders, "A monster, Sadie. She's created a monster, and for our sakes we have to stay on its good side."

"You guys can be so over dramatic sometimes," Astral pointed out with a giggle, "I know you won't become a power hungry jerk, Jamie. You'll be a great luna, even if you have some...unorthodox methods of caring for everyone."

"By unorthodox you mean yelling at people from other packs for talking shit and attacking anyone that steals my food?" She nodded sheepishly, "Is that not normal?" They all shook their heads, "Oh."

A/N: Was this a cheap and cliché way to tie off some loose ends from earlier in the book I didn't have a more planned way of handling? Yeah, definitely, but I hope you all at least found this chapter entertaining