When you begin a friendship with your prison buddies

Peter didn't sleep well, but who could when you were in prison with a shock collar around your neck that could activate at any moment? The sleep he did get was fitful at best, and nightmarish at its worst. He kept remembering the pain, the guard's cruel smile, and the beeping of the collar.

Worst of all, he kept remembering his promise to Mr. Stark. How he'd let him down by going on patrol. Why hadn't he listened to him? The man was probably angry that he'd gone against the one rule he had.

If he even noticed he was missing.

Shit, Aunt May.

Oh god, what was he going to do? She'd definitely know he was gone, he lived with her! What if they told her he was arrested?

What if they told her he was Spider-Man?

What if they told the whole world? He couldn't do that. He couldn't live like that, everyone knowing his identity. His friends, his classmates.

Peter wondered if Ned knew that he was gone yet. He had probably noticed as soon as Peter didn't respond to his phone. God, he didn't want to freak him out. Ned didn't even know about his powers yet.

The only one who used to know was Mr. Stark and Happy.

Now?

He didn't even know.

And that was terrifying.

Suddenly, the lights of the prison brightened, revealing the rest of the cells. Peter winced at the sharpness of it. Damn, his enhanced senses were really not helping him right now. He really wished they had an off switch, but unfortunately, life never made things that simple for him.

"Everyone awake?" Scott's voice echoed around the area. "Does anyone know what day it is?"

Peter heard Sam's tired groan as the man stood up. "For the last time, nobody knows-"

"I- I think it's Saturday. April 9th, I think." Peter's voice was hoarse, and he cleared his throat. "It was Thursday night when, uh, when they took me in. I think that was two days ago."

"Thanks kid! See, Sam, it is still a relevant question. I used to do it when I was in prison, we'd ask the new guy for the date when they'd come in, and that's how we'd keep track if the guards didn't tell us."

Peter groaned, slowly pushing himself up off the floor. The chain on his handcuffs rattled slightly, and he froze, waiting for the beep of the collar. It didn't come, thankfully, and he got himself up onto the metal cot. They had never even given him a blanket. "You were in prison before?"

Scott laughed. "Yeah, but don't worry, it was for burglary."

Peter tilted his head. "You robbed someone?"

Scott rolled his eyes. "No. Robbery implies violence. This company I used to work for, they were overcharging like crazy. I tried to fix it, but they fired me for reporting it. So I just gave the customers back the money."

Peter saw Sam raise his eyebrows. "You sure that's all you did?"

"Okay, I might've taken a few things from my old boss's office."

Peter looked at him skeptically.

Scott sighed. "And I drove his car into a pool. Happy now?"

Peter grinned. "Yeah. To be honest, that's kind of awesome."

Scott looked at him in surprise. "Really?"

Peter nodded. "I mean, it was all to help the people, right? That's what we're here for. That's what superheroes do."