Rescue

Peter was, once again, surrounded by red. It was like he was floating in it.

It felt like a dream, like his body wasn't real.

Like this was all in his head.

Maybe it was?

"What the hell..." His voice sounded muffled,

Wasn't he just in his prison cell? The alarm had been going off, and it'd been so loud, so painful. There was shouting, and the intercom had gone off.

Along with the shock collar.

But there was no pain anymore. No buzzing of electricity.

Just a peaceful red, surrounding him like a calm blanket.

Shit. Was he dead?

"I don't think we're dead." A voice echoed around the red atmosphere, speaking with a slight accent that sounded almost Russian. "This doesn't feel like death."

Peter whipped around to see a shadow among the red mist. The figure moved closer, revealing a familiar outline.

"Wanda?"

The red tendrils faded away from her. She looked different than she had in the prison, her skin a normal tone, no shock collar or straightjacket in sight. It was odd to see her normally.

She gave a small smile, but her eyes were confused. "I don't really know what's happening. I- I think I've been here before..."

Peter shrugged half-heartedly. "It's better than out there. It's quiet here. I like it."

Wanda tilted her head, blinking. "Out there? What..."

She turned, looking around herself.

Peter just watched. His mind felt foggy, like something was being held back from him. It was a strange sensation, not uncomfortable, but not right, either.

"It doesn't feel like death, but it doesn't feel like life..." Wanda repeated the phrase a few times, reaching out to the red mist and curling her fingers through it. Her image flickered, and Peter flinched.

He could've sworn he saw the shock collar around her neck again. "Wanda?" His voice was shaky and soft.

She mumbled to herself once more, and red energy spread out from her hand, the tendrils wrapping around her hand. "It doesn't feel right..." The energy pulsed, flashing a bright scarlet.

Wanda gasped, stumbling backward.

"What's wrong?" Peter asked, stepping forward slightly.

She turned towards him, eyes clear and focused, panic shining through them. "Peter, we need to get out of here. Now."

"What? Why?"

Wanda shook her head, taking a deep breath. "We can't stay here. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to bring both of us here, but we need to wake up."

Peter felt his eyes widen. "What's happening?"

Her image flickered again. "I- I think they're here to help us, Peter. If we don't get out of here, we won't ever be able to."

"W-What do you mean?" His voice shook, words barely coming out, but Wanda understood.

She sighed, stepping towards him. "We'll die. I brought us here when the collars went off, it's where I escape to when I can't handle pain. But my powers, I-" Wanda exhaled, clearly frustrated. "I don't have enough control over them to keep this up for a long time. They turn against me, and if I don't pull myself out, it gets bad."