The second vow

MJ scrambled to his feet.

"Maya, please don't do this. Can we talk? How much money do you want? I'll give you anything. Just give that recorder to me and we go our separate ways, okay?"

Maya laughed. "Look how the tables have turned, Mrityunjaya."

"But I don't understand." Antara said. "You've literally said yourself that you killed Rishi. If you give the recorder to the police, you'll be jailed too."

"I know that. But I want to be punished for my sins. I want to serve for killing Rishi. Its the least I can do for Rudra. But I have nothing to lose, you know? I'm on the verge of completing my second vow so my life after this day doesn't hold any meaning. Whether I die or live, it doesn't make any difference. I have nothing to lose. But you, MJ, you have a lot to lose and you've started losing everything starting now."

"Dad," Rudra said. "I'm disgusted. I literally have no words about what I'm feeling about you right now. I'm speechless. And mom, YOU? I didn't expect this from you at all. You kept siding with dad, despite knowing what he did?! My very own parents disappointed me and I feel like my entire world has shattered right before my eyes."

He broke down on the floor, crying his eyes out.

"Maya," Ananya said, coming over to her and gently touching her shoulder. "I'm sorry for whatever hurtful things I said to you. I was so wrong about you all this while. Yes you murdered someone, your ways weren't good, but after what you went through, I just can't be angry on you anymore. I've been so stupid and childish all this while. I hope you forgive me."

"Ananya!" her dad shouted. "What are you saying? Get away from her."

"Shut up, you asshole," Ananya turned around and slapped him. "You ain't my dad and I feel ashamed to call you my dad."

"Ananya...what are you doing?"

Ananya rolled her eyes. "Please don't ever show me your face ever again. I hope you rot in jail for the rest of your life."

"Sorry sweetie," Diya said. "You'll go to jail too. What you did with Maya along with Sameer has been recorded too."

"Huh? What?"

"Umm yes." Maya said. "I don't have a personal problem with you, Ananya. I would've actually let you go but considering that you and Sameer actually tortured my mom in the process as well, I'm not sparing you."

"No Maya, please." Sameer begged. "Send me to jail if you want but not my Ananya please. I'm ready to serve her sentence as well."

"Awww sorry Romeo." Maya smirked. "Things don't work like that."

Suddenly the door crashed and the police, along with her mom and the trans women entered the house.

"MAYA," her mom cried with joy and ran to hug her. "Oh my girl, I'm so happy. I honestly never thought I'd see you again."

"Aunty," Rudra got up and went to touch her feet. "Please forgive me for treating your daughter like shit after I found out she murdered my brother."

"I forgive you, son." Her mom made Rudra get up and hugged him.

"Also bless me aunty," he said. "Bless me that in my next life, I get Maya as my wife again but this time, we live happily ever after."

Maya's eyes filled with tears. "Oh Rudra..."

They embraced each other.

"Sorry Maya," Rudra sobbed. "I really wish I wake up right now and realize all this is just a bad dream as I see you sleeping beside me peacefully."

"I'm sorry I took your brother away from you."

"I forgive you."

"You do? I forgive you too."

They kissed each other, probably the longest and the most passionate kiss they'd ever done.

"All right, break it up now." The police inspector groaned. "What do you have for me?"

Maya took out the recorder and gave it to him.

The police listened to the entire recording twice.

"All right," the inspector said. "Arrest everyone here except Rudra."

The police officers scrambled around the house to thrust handcuffs on everyone.

"Wait a minute officers." Maya said. "I haven't yet completed my second vow."

"What do you mean?" the inspector asked.

Maya pointed the gun at MJ and smiled. "My second vow."

Before anyone could react, she pressed the trigger and shot him dead.

Rudra and Antara screamed and knelt beside him.

"WAKE UP! WAKE UP!" Antara sobbed.

Maya slowly put the gun on her forehead.

"MAYA NO," Rudra said. "Please."

"My work is done, Rudra. Let me go." She looked at mom. "Goodbye mom. Give my regards to the leader. Tell her I got what I wanted. My revenge."

Her mom wiped her tears and whispered. "I will."

Suddenly, Rudra grabbed the nearby officer's gun and pointed it at his head.

"Stop it, Maya. If you kill yourself, I'll do it to. I can't live without you and if you die, I won't be able to live with dad's burden of guilt as well. Its too much, Maya. I can't handle it."

"Then lets do ourselves a favour." Maya slowly pointed the gun towards Rudra.

Rudra understood her intentions and pointed his gun towards Maya.

Before the shocked policemen, they recited the seven vows they took during their marriage.

"To love each other till death do us part."

They smiled at each other.

"I love you, Rudra."

"I love you, Maya."

*BANG*

They pressed the trigger at the same time, falling down beside each other, their faces nearly touching each other in a symbolic gesture.

Ananya and Diya broke down crying.

The trans women closed their eyes and murmured a prayer for the departed souls.

Maya's mom knelt down beside her daughter, kissed her forehead, then slowly closed her eyes with her hands. Antara did the same to Rudra. They nodded at each other, passing non verbal condolences to their mutual motherly loss.

Antara then knelt down beside MJ, removed her Mangal sutra and ring and gently put it in his hand.

She slowly got up, wiped her tears and put out her hands for the cuffs.

"Lets go officers. We're ready to atone for our sins."